50 things to improve your espresso (revisited) - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
malachi

#11: Post by malachi »

Add one more downside to transfering from one vessel to another... additional time passes. Your espresso should be drunk as soon as possible.

bobroseman

#12: Post by bobroseman »

Just thought that I'd chime in with a comment about tamping. I think that I've tried just about every method recommended. My current method which results in consistent times and volumes with no channeling from my bottomless portafilter is what I call the 'finger poke' method. It is sort of like a perverted Staub tamp. After leveling and before tamping, I just poke my finger into to coffee all around the periphery of the basket. It's kind of like tucking the sheet in when making a bed or crimping pie dough while making a crust.

Bob

Advertisement
IMAWriter

#13: Post by IMAWriter »

HB wrote:What I described in Dose, distribute, tamp. Repeat. is pretty much what Chris Deferio advocated.

:?
Dan...forgive my obtuseness, but i seem to be getting conflicting theories here...I read on 1 hand when doing the "polishing twist, to do so WITHOUT downward force...and here, you describe doing it at the end with 20lbs of force....which is it?
TIA

HB (original poster)
Admin

#14: Post by HB (original poster) »

That's part of the reason I offered the joke:

Man playing horn or women's silhouette?
Debates among baristas can be equally ambiguous.

Specifically, I was quoting David Schomer's article, which said for the last step "Finish with polishing the coffee by turning the packer [tamper] clockwise with 20 pounds of force" (link). I don't agree with him on this particular point, but he's surely thrown out more shots than I've made, so I thought it worth mentioning if only to demonstrate that even among the most experienced, there are no absolutes.
Dan Kehn

IMAWriter

#15: Post by IMAWriter »

Just like songwriting...more than one way to screw up a good lyric! ;>D