Do you change your routine when using a bottomless portafilter? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
HB
Admin

#11: Post by HB »

MattJ wrote:So is there dead space under the bottom of the filter basket between the basket and the portafilter?
The upper lip of the basket makes a watertight seal against the grouphead because it's pressed tightly against its rubber gasket, but the underside of the basket lip does not make a watertight seal against the portafilter. In fact, if it did, the espresso flow would be more likely to go "glug glug" as a vacuum formed behind the outgoing liquid (think of pouring out of two jugs, one with a hole punched in the bottom, one with its bottom intact). Some portafilters have a small notch cutout on the lip to allow air to more easily flow under the lip of the basket (e.g., older Rancilio commercial portafilters).

On a related note, that's why if you're building your own portafilter pressure gauge, the basket must be removed.
Dan Kehn

dergitarrist

#12: Post by dergitarrist »

I started on a naked portafilter so I can't really say but one of the biggest advantages for me is simply hygiene... nothing gets stuck underneath the basket. Reason enough for me to use one because let's be honest... unless you're pulling a LOT of shots every day it's not going to make much of a difference if there's a spout on there or not.
LMWDP #324

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

The type of portafilter should not make a difference. If you use a double, single or no spout the process is the same. Now baskets are a different story. If you change basket styles or sizes you may have to change your dose or distribution method but moving the same basket from portafilter to portafilter should not require any changes.
Dave Stephens

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by mitch236 »

HB wrote:The upper lip of the basket makes a watertight seal against the grouphead because it's pressed tightly against its rubber gasket, but the underside of the basket lip does not make a watertight seal against the portafilter. In fact, if it did, the espresso flow would be more likely to go "glug glug" as a vacuum formed behind the outgoing liquid (think of pouring out of two jugs, one with a hole punched in the bottom, one with its bottom intact).
I'm confused by this comment. I haven't read the entire thread so maybe I'm taking it out of context. I thought the water was being fed through the grouphead and therefore doesn't require air to have continuous flow. Think of a garden hose attached to the faucet.

HB
Admin

#15: Post by HB »

Not sure why it's confusing, but I'll try again.

I refer to the liquid exiting the bottom of the basket that eventually makes its way out the portafilter spout. See Randy's cross-section diagram of a standard portafilter; I refer to the space he labeled "3". If that space allowed no air to enter, espresso would flow less readily from "4" due to the formation of a temporary partial vacuum, especially if the exit port were small. Some portafilters have a notch in the rim for this purpose, some have larger exit holes, and some manufacturers do nothing special because they aren't concerned about an occasional "glug glug" in the espresso stream.
Dan Kehn

cannonfodder
Team HB

#16: Post by cannonfodder »

You are thinking about the wrong side of the basket. The glug glug would come from the vacuum created as the espresso exited the hole in the bottom of the portafilter, not the water exiting the brew basket into the hollow bowl of the portafilter under the basket.
Dave Stephens

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by mitch236 »

I stand corrected. I was thinking about a bottomless PF!

Sorry!!

innermusic

#18: Post by innermusic »

I'm hooked on bottomless. I prefer the shots, not to mention being able to see everything. Only thing I'm using my regular PF for is backflushing.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

dkny3939

#19: Post by dkny3939 »

As long as your blind basket fits bottomless, there is no reason to use standard PF even for backflushing.