Quest M3 Roasting Instructions - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Gismar

#31: Post by Gismar »

I have one question regarding the fan on the M3 roaster. Do you have a point where the fan stops completely when turning it down?

Arpi

#32: Post by Arpi »

Gismar wrote: Do you have a point where the fan stops completely when turning it down?
Yes. If that is the same problem as heat, it could either be a wrong value pot or a wrong triac. I think they use the same parts for both (fan & heat). so if you have the same problem, I would look there.

Cheers

Advertisement
Gismar

#33: Post by Gismar »

Mine is not stopping, it may be as you say Arpi. I will contact Molly about this too.

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#34: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Gismar wrote:I have one question regarding the fan on the M3 roaster. Do you have a point where the fan stops completely when turning it down?
Mine stops when turned below 3. When it stops at a higher level, it's time to clean it, which is the worst cleaning chore on the M3. The controls on both fan and hat are basic variac circuits; it could be they got in a bum batch, just like the early models had bum heaters. If that is the case, they could send you the whole soldered assembly, including the pots, so you could install it without doing any soldering
Jim Schulman

UltramaticOrange

#35: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Laptop is getting borrowed for a bit and along with it Artisan and my roasting recipe, so I figured now is the time to post my roasting process even if it's just for my own future reference.

200g (by weight) charge:
Charge at 385°F.
Fan 0, amps 8.5. This gets me to the end of drying around 4:20-4:35.
at the end of the dry phase (I use 300°F since my nose is unreliable), amps 10, fan 3.
at 360°F, amps 7.0 fan 4.5 (slowing down before C1 to avoid tipping)
start of C1, Fan to 6
30 sec into C1, Fan to 6.5.
ET levels off between 430°F (when I do it right) and 450°F

This is still a work in progress. I'm sure I'll do further tweaking once I have my MET probe installed, but I've been getting some fantastic smelling roasts with this process.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

dustin360

#36: Post by dustin360 »

Be careful turning your amps to 10 with the fan on 3, once you get your MET probe installed you'll see how high it will spike at this setting. Tough I have been finding I can raise my MET above the "safe zone" earlier in the roast before first crack starts with no ill effect.

I crank up the amps to full after drying, but only til I reach my safe zone ceiling which is about 500 to 525 degrees. Once I get close to hitting my ceiling ill turn up the fan mid way, which maxs out the rate of rise. Full fan brings in to much cold air, and to little fan reduces convection. Im constantly tweaking the fan setting during the middle phase to get maxim rate of rise(most of the time), as the sweet spot seems to move around quite a bit.

UltramaticOrange

#37: Post by UltramaticOrange »

dustin360 wrote:Be careful turning your amps to 10 with the fan on 3, once you get your MET probe installed you'll see how high it will spike at this setting.
A lesson I learned the hard way which prompted the introduction of 7A 4.5F at 360°F. I admit that I am curious just how much further I can push it (or if I should back off more!) when I get the MET installed. Now if I only had a drill press...
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?