Digital espresso or a way to consistency - Page 12

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Benjammer

#111: Post by Benjammer »

I thought a doubleshot of espresso was typically 14-16g making 2-3oz of liquid espresso? 2oz = about 60grams, so according to that brew ratio chart I'm only getting a 30% ratio that way, and making a lungo (long shot)?

If you're brewing only 30g of liquid, that's only about a 1oz shot. Isn't that considered a ristretto/restricted shot? It looks like you got a good amount (2.5oz?) in your video though.

Are my measurements off? Because I looked up multiple conversion websites, and tried measuring on my own scale, and it seems to be accurate. Although, strangely one coffee I use http://www.socialcoffeecompany.com/prod ... y-espresso recommends brewing 1.5-1.75 oz / 30-35 grams, which aren't equal measurements at all by my conversions. :?

aecletec

#112: Post by aecletec »

Liquid conversions of espresso are problematic due to crema.
Many of us like to brew our espresso in a way that would traditionally be within or exceed ristretto parameters, but modern culinary roasting and/or blending is often designed for this usage.

Nik

#113: Post by Nik »

Some are motivated to learn the art of making consistently good espresso and Tekimino has provided a clear path to get there. It appears to me that all these procedures are rejected by you as a waste of time. I would suggest that you take a look at a Jura. Just push a button and out comes coffee without any stress whatsoever.

I agree with Da Gino....after a few times it will only take less than a minute to do it with predictability and consistency.

Marshall wrote:I could take out a gram scale, precisely weigh 14 g of beans into my grinder, grind them, dose what I could into a basket I had removed from my portafilter, brush out as many particles as I could from the chute into the basket (vacuuming out the remainder), put the basket into the portafilter, insert a cut-off yogurt cup into the basket, stir the beans with a needle, remove the yogurt cup, lock in the portafilter, move the gram scale to my drip tray, put a cup on the gram scale, tare the gram scale, pull the shot while watching both the quality of the pour and the rising digits on the scale, and decide whether to cut the shot by pour quality or weight all in less time than it takes me to make a French press coffee.

All these steps have been recommended on Home-barista. That I choose to do none of them (except grind the coffee), is not about "saving time."

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#114: Post by mitch236 »

Benjammer wrote:I thought a doubleshot of espresso was typically 14-16g making 2-3oz of liquid espresso? 2oz = about 60grams, so according to that brew ratio chart I'm only getting a 30% ratio that way, and making a lungo (long shot)?

If you're brewing only 30g of liquid, that's only about a 1oz shot. Isn't that considered a ristretto/restricted shot? It looks like you got a good amount (2.5oz?) in your video though.

Are my measurements off? Because I looked up multiple conversion websites, and tried measuring on my own scale, and it seems to be accurate. Although, strangely one coffee I use http://www.socialcoffeecompany.com/prod ... y-espresso recommends brewing 1.5-1.75 oz / 30-35 grams, which aren't equal measurements at all by my conversions. :?
Could it be that most beginners start out by vastly overextracting? I know I was one. I can't overstate how much improvement was gained by simply weighing both my dose and my shot. Using volume to measure the shot is so problematic it becomes virtually useless.

LaDan

#115: Post by LaDan »

Benjammer wrote: ... Although, strangely one coffee I use http://www.socialcoffeecompany.com/prod ... y-espresso recommends brewing 1.5-1.75 oz / 30-35 grams, which aren't equal measurements at all by my conversions. :?
1oz = 28.35g, Right?

So 1.5oz espresso = 30g? how come?

Because:
1oz of espresso liquid = 29.35g. 0.5oz of crema = almost nothing grams.
Liquid + crema = 1.5oz.
29.35g liquid + almost nothing grams crema = 30g.

In other words, crema has volume (0.5oz) but doesn't have weight. (over simplifying here of course).

Benjammer

#116: Post by Benjammer »

mitch236 wrote:beginners start out by vastly overextracting? I know I was one. I can't overstate how much improvement was gained by simply weighing both my dose and my shot. Using volume to measure the shot is so problematic it becomes virtually
Yeah, I'm still relatively a newbie, still experimenting (although, most people here probably never stop experimenting right?).
I did try grinding allot finer today: I used 15g of espresso beans, I got 30G of liquid espresso in about 20ish seconds, and it did taste stronger/ better more complex than my usual, although I find when I grind finer I get darker coloured crema on top which tastes like there's allot of micro fine particles in it, and it gives a bad dirty coffee type taste. *I should note I make cappuccinos usually with a wet foam, the coffee foam blends a bit with the milk foam, but I can still taste the fine particles*

I just got a Vario grinder, hoping it would eliminate that, but I guess that's how it is (or my cheap machines portafilter is letting to many fine particles through?). I did notice they had the same thing at a highly rated cafe around here though, but not as much.

So many subtle settings on the Vario, I think I need to experiment allot more with the grind size to get a good balance.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#117: Post by mitch236 »

Ben, there's been talk of some people preferring removing the crema from the shot because of what you describe. I don't agree with removal but do prefer to swirl my espresso before I drink it due to the strong taste of crema.

If you drink milk drinks, you might try adding a small amount of milk, then swirling the mixture together and then adding the remainder of milk. That will break up the crema somewhat.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#118: Post by mitch236 »

Here's a link to the discussion: http://www.jimseven.com/2009/07/06/video-1-crema/