Shipping an espresso machine - help - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Boldjava

#11: Post by Boldjava »

I get all my shipping supplies from Associated Bag, here in Lake Cheddar. You have a http://Uline.com in Atlanta; they will have a variety of styrofoam applications. Ask them which might be best.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#12: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

thanks Boldjava...Uline is here, but it's a good hour away from me...i'll look around for styro boards..
maybe home depot

Phaelon56

#13: Post by Phaelon56 »

HB wrote:You could blow out the lines with low-pressure air. Or some suggest using a mixture of vodka and water as "anti-freeze"; I've never tried it and thus cannot vouch for its effectiveness.
I think this liquid mixture, used to make espresso shots, may be the next big thing on college campuses now that Four Loko is getting banned in so many places ;-)

As for packing - at this time of year you'll start to see rigid foam pieces showing up in trash cans in most neighborhoods as people unpack various gizmos that they're preparing to give as gifts. You could also check with your local big box electronics store, as they rarely keep that stuff on hand for the floor display models.

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#14: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

good call phaelon, thanks.

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#15: Post by orphanespresso »

Straight vodka should work...we use it in various places. Styro boards can be found fairly inexpensively at building supply stores - it's used as insulation. Consider Greyhound package express if you've got stations near you & the buyer - can be inexpensive when compared to the cost of other carriers. Cardboard boxes - the best in the recycled are those doublewall Chinese cardboard boxes - they really do absorb a lot of shock even though it may seem like not-so-good cardboard - it's sort of squishy - but it really does the job.

ethorson

#16: Post by ethorson »

I have purchased two espresso machines on eBay and both were damaged in shipping. The damage was due to heavy internal components getting knocked out of whack when the box was apparently dropped. If and when I buy another machine I will ask the shipper to fill the interior of the machine with shipping peanuts. Hopefully that would provide some additional support to internal components. Obviously double boxing and sufficient external packing material is also important but some sellers skimp on this because of the cost and effort required.

sweaner

#17: Post by sweaner »

I bet a craft store would have them.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Randy G.

#18: Post by Randy G. »

ethorson wrote:I have purchased two espresso machines on eBay and both were damaged in shipping. The damage was due to heavy internal components getting knocked out of whack when the box was apparently dropped. ..
It makes you wonder... if the machine can make it half way across the world, to the wholesaler, to the retailer, and then to you, and you use the same packing (or better), why the Neanderthals running the brown truck company can't get it across a few states intact...
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#19: Post by orphanespresso »

I think it's because from the manufacturer, to the wholesaler or distributor it travels by a freight company, on pallets - in ways that don't have individual boxes traveling up & down ramps to be dropped from and dropped on!

** Can't say enough about Greyhound - Faema Lambro arrived safe & sound to the new owner via the Big Gray Dog! Economical, and we shipped it in a plywood crate, handles at the top of the sides, and it never got turned upside down, or sent up 30 feet to be dropped - across the country in 4 days, safe & sound!

cafeIKE

#20: Post by cafeIKE »

Randy G. wrote:It makes you wonder... if the machine can make it half way across the world, to the wholesaler, to the retailer, and then to you, and you use the same packing (or better), why the Neanderthals running the brown truck company can't get it across a few states intact...
That is grossly unfair. It is always incumbent upon the shipper to adequately pack for the 'normally expected' conditions.

Only a neanderthal would expect a 70lb machine in a single wall 12lb box w 1in of peanuts to make to the end of the driveway..