Ristretto in a hand levered machine? - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
bobcraige

#31: Post by bobcraige »

Dan

Is there any standard color chart provided anywhere to define the color in espresso?
Bob Craige

LMWDP #7

GaggiaGirl (original poster)

#32: Post by GaggiaGirl (original poster) »

Thank you everyone for your inputs on hand grinders. I think I will go that way. If anyone has any suggestions on where to get one, that would be great. I'll be on the road to great espresso in no time!!

peacecup

#33: Post by peacecup »

Hello GG,

Ebay has them periodically. You should be sure that it has a stepless adjustable grind (not a locking nut on the top of the axle), either on top, back, or in the drawer. Look for those with SS or white enamel bowls inside- they seem to be higher quality (although the new Zasses may not have these?). I would ask the seller to test the adjustement to see if it will grind fine and evenly, and ask about damage to the burrs, rust, etc. I've gotten a couple that don't grind fine or evenly enough. Good luck,

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

HB
Admin

#34: Post by HB »

kbuzbee wrote:I've had some coffees (the one I'm drinking right now) I can't seem to screw up. I've had others I have to work very hard to get anything I want to drink. So I know it isn't ALL skill of the barista.... Whadda ya think?
Some coffees are definitely more forgiving. Another possible explanation for the "I can't screw it up" phenomena is your expectations. What I considered acceptable two years ago is an insult to my driptray today. As Jim mentioned, the bar moved up considerably between SCAA conferences. For example, the same shots that elicited cries of wonderment in Atlanta 2004 were greeted with yawns in Seattle 2005.

Andy pulled shots on Gimme Coffee's pressure-profiled Cyncra with the most lusciously rich crema in recent memory. At one time you could reliably best just about any cafe's espresso in your own kitchen. Nowadays there are more and more "serious" cafes and home baristas cannot make that boast without first checking who's in the room. The bar is moving up in terms of barista skills and the coffees they use.
bobcraige wrote:Is there any standard color chart provided anywhere to define the color in espresso?
A standard chart? Not that I'm aware of. It would vary anyway depending on the blend. Everyone agrees that pale blond = not good, flecking / tiger striping = good, after which the discussion of the finer points begins. That was several hours of lecture and calibration exercises at the USBC judges' certification workshop.
Dan Kehn

kbuzbee

#35: Post by kbuzbee »

HB wrote:Some coffees are definitely more forgiving. Another possible explanation for the "I can't screw it up" phenomena is your expectations. What I considered acceptable two years ago is an insult to my driptray today. As Jim mentioned, the bar moved up considerably between SCAA conferences. For example, the same shots that elicited cries of wonderment in Atlanta 2004 were greeted with yawns in Seattle 2005.
I hear what you are saying, Dan. I thought my shots were amazing when I first got my Euripiccola. I'm sure I wouldn't want even the best of those today. I am always trying things to tweak my shots... some work... most don't :D But I try because I want to constantly improve my coffee. I hadn't put what I said earlier into that context. I can see looking back 2-3 years from now (if this were possible) at some of these "can't screw up" shots and going "What was I thinking?".... Maybe.... I kinda hope so, else not much has changed. Have to say, what goes into the tweak is less varied these days. Small adjustments. I guess I'm finding my "zone".

You say it used to be simple for a home barista to slaughter the output of a cafe but less so today.... I would counter with - The Home Barista, with care and understanding, can produce the shot you want, at the cafe, you will get the shot the cafe wants to pull (if they are good!)

Ken
LMWDP #054