Solved! Securing Portafilter Basket without Spring Clip - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

Now a days I just hold the basket with my thumb when I knock out the puck. I will occasional take the spring out of my portafilter when I am testing coffee so I can swap out baskets without the click you get when a spring is in there. After a few years you develop portafilter hands, grabbing a hot PF no longer generates the involuntary drop and holler response.
Dave Stephens

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary (original poster) »

"Portafilter hands" -- do you mean scar tissue? Or is this more mind over matter, like fire walking? (The human mind is capable of amazing things!)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

tekomino

#13: Post by tekomino »

I experience no problems with baskets falling out becouse spring clip is removed when knocking out pucks. You just flip it quickly and basket cannot fall out. I never had a need to secure basket and find it much easier to work with portafilter and basket when basket is going out easy... And i don't hold it with my thumb either... No need.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#14: Post by cannonfodder »

drgary wrote:"Portafilter hands" -- do you mean scar tissue? Or is this more mind over matter, like fire walking? (The human mind is capable of amazing things!)
Probably a little of both. I dont go grabbing the group bell on the machine, but a hot portafilter does not bother me much with a quick grab. Would not want to stand there and hold it but 5 seconds is no big deal. You just become accustom to the heat.
Dave Stephens

denniskeating

#15: Post by denniskeating »

I use a spring in the p/f and use ridgeless baskets.
The spring is from my rancilio audrey, and is about .100" spring wire. The normal ones are .140" I think.
I rebent the thin spring a little too remove the three flat areas.
This works the best of both worlds for me. The basket never falls out nor sticks to the g/h.
I suppose one could get some .100" dia. music wire @ lowes and bend your own, or source a thinner wire model.
It is easier to R&R ridged baskets,too, without the harsh snap that can dislodge the coffee bed.
Check it out.