Best way to remove portafilter handles? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Beezer

#11: Post by Beezer »

Espressoparts.com sells wood handles for La Marzocco filters.

http://www.espressoparts.com/PFH_LMS_BUBINGA

The picture shows a male 12mm bolt sticking out of the handle. So it seems like the old handle should just unscrew from the filter holder. I suppose they use thread locker and crank it on there really tight.
Lock and load!

dsc

#12: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

well they might simply be using a thread locker that is strong enough for high temperature conditions and it will be a pain in the ass to remove. If that's the case they don't even need to tighten it too hard.

If it's possible try to remove the rubber cover and work on bare metal. That or put it in the oven at 250*C for an hour or so and see if it helps. Of course a heat gun will be a better solution as it can apply heat to a particular spot, but oven is usually cheaper.

Regards,
dsc.

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

Getting it off should not be a problem. I have gotten a few dozen apart. Worst case, a padded vice and a strap wrench will do the trick. Pretty much every PF handle is on with thread locker.
Dave Stephens

lolgun (original poster)

#14: Post by lolgun (original poster) »

Any updates on the ones you got Dave?

shadowfax

#15: Post by shadowfax »

Thanks for bringing this up! I'd previously been afraid to use heat to remove my handles, and using a vise was an utter failure for my LM portafilter awhile ago. But today I got it off my portafilter and got to put my BEAUTIFUL Dave Stephens-made red nara wood handle on it.

I used my butane micro-burner to heat the neck of the portafilter, carefully avoiding exposing the handle part to any direct heat. I regularly dipped the handle of the portafilter (holding the super-hot body of the portafilter with a thick, old towel) in an ice bath to keep it wet and cold. After a modest bit of heating and cooling, the handle came off with just hand pressure, twisting it while holding the body of the portafilter again with the thick towel. There's no damage whatever to the rubber handle, and I'm really happy to have Dave's work on my espresso machine again. the heat seemed to turn the threadlocker into a dried out bluish powder.
Nicholas Lundgaard

cannonfodder
Team HB

#16: Post by cannonfodder »

lolgun wrote:Any updates on the ones you got Dave?
The Ironwood arrived today so I went at the LM. It took a steel table, 3 clamps, some scrap wood, a utility knife, large vise grips, another wrench, broke the jaws on a set of vise grips, a hammer and a torch. But I got it off. Standard M12 1.75 bolt. I snapped some photos of the destruction. Never had to go through so much to get a handle off. It is definitely permanent thread locker.
Dave Stephens

lolgun (original poster)

#17: Post by lolgun (original poster) »

Wow. I knew that thing was tough when I sat there with the heat gun at max pointed straight at the head and couldn't get any movement at all from it. LM's are no joke. But that's good news at least, and I'm very excited to see both the pics of the destruction and of the wood!

Seems Nicholas' method had proven results. Did you take any pictures yourself?

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#18: Post by cannonfodder »

I pretty much destroyed the original LM portafilter handle. But I think it was worth it...

Dave Stephens

lolgun (original poster)

#19: Post by lolgun (original poster) »

wow. I would definitely say it's worth it!! That is some beautiful handles and the LM head fits perfectly! That is going to be one lucky barista who gets that! :wink:

Spitz.me

#20: Post by Spitz.me »

Beezer wrote:Espressoparts.com sells wood handles for La Marzocco filters.

http://www.espressoparts.com/PFH_LMS_BUBINGA

The picture shows a male 12mm bolt sticking out of the handle. So it seems like the old handle should just unscrew from the filter holder. I suppose they use thread locker and crank it on there really tight.
Dave's handle in the above pics make that handle espressoparts handle look like someone machined it with an ugly stick!

Nice stuff Dave, I will definitely be hitting you up sooner rather than later.
LMWDP #670