Micro-Rant - on fresh coffee vs Good coffee - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
ethiopie

#21: Post by ethiopie »

Everybody here seems to agree that freshness is one parameter among many, and not necessarily the most important one. I share this opinion, but it brings me to an obvious question: why are so many people judging coffee by its freshness? Because it's easy to quantify ("so-and-so many days post roast")? Because it gives an air of objectivity to judgements that really are subjective? Because it's easy to taste the evolution of a bean over the days (even with my very limited tastebuds), so everyone (me included) feels like a true expert giving judgements about freshness? Because it's an argument in some sort of sales competition between roasters?

DavidMLewis

#22: Post by DavidMLewis »

I can only speak for myself, of course. But in my case, I don't want to buy coffee that is at or near its peak because I am not going to drink it all in the next few days. I will typically drink it over a week or two, and would rather experience its phases myself than have it really delicious the day after I buy it and then fade.

Best,
David

malachi (original poster)

#23: Post by malachi (original poster) »

ethiopie wrote:Everybody here seems to agree that freshness is one parameter among many, and not necessarily the most important one. I share this opinion, but it brings me to an obvious question: why are so many people judging coffee by its freshness? Because it's easy to quantify ("so-and-so many days post roast")? Because it gives an air of objectivity to judgements that really are subjective? Because it's easy to taste the evolution of a bean over the days (even with my very limited tastebuds), so everyone (me included) feels like a true expert giving judgements about freshness? Because it's an argument in some sort of sales competition between roasters?
Because human beings like simple answers (rules) to complex problems (life).
What's in the cup is what matters.

Anvan

#24: Post by Anvan »

Brandon - thanks for your fascinating post of 29-Jul-11 and your discussion of "windows" in the aging of roasted coffee. I'm sure I was not the only one who has simply assumed a few days of peak followed by a more-or-less linear and indefinite decline.

With all the wine analogies so frequently dragged out to describe coffee phenomena, it's surprising that it's taken until now (for me anyway) to hear of an "awkward phase" in coffee, just as it applies to certain cellaring periods.

Again, thank you for writing in: though your body of roasting and blending work already speaks eloquently for itself, your observations here provide something interesting to watch for, and I'll be saving some of my current El Toro batch in hopes of finding what you've described.

I hope you continue to share your thoughts and experience on these pages.