Understanding Espresso - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
zin1953

#11: Post by zin1953 »

It's the same thing I teach people when they're learning about wine . . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

malachi (original poster)

#12: Post by malachi (original poster) replying to zin1953 »

I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel.
These are all solved problems.
What's in the cup is what matters.

Tsiros

#13: Post by Tsiros replying to malachi »

The wheel has indeed been already invented but, while it is not productive to do so, it is imperative to reinvent it as a scholar. Going through the same process as others helps understanding. Otherwise, you do not attain true knowledge.

Psyd

#14: Post by Psyd »

barry wrote:i think you might be assuming everyone reads every section all the time. ;)
Yup, being listed as bloggish, I never even went to 'Overextracted'. Now that I've seen what I might be missing, however, I might just have to read every post on every visit... *sigh*
Excellent post, that "Kissing your sister" thingie!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Bon

#15: Post by Bon »

Great post, thanks for sharing.

It's definitely food for thought.

TimEggers

#16: Post by TimEggers »

Just when I was starting to be really excited about getting back onto my journey of home espresso...now I'm a little terrified!

All things aside I really appreciate the informative write up, some great advice that I will definitely take to heart as I begin my journeys. Can anyone recommend a specific espresso blend/seller to try? I have been using home roasted, but as Malachi outlines this may be shorting myself in the short term until I have a working fundamental ability.

I have always known that I have a long ways to go and that does not bother me, I just hope that I can (in time) be pulling shots to the likes of JonR10 and the many other bottomless and not so bottomless pros around here. I have patience and will practice, practice and practice some more.

My sincere appreciation to all the regulars (too many to name) on HB! You make it possible for the newbies like me to get started and learn and that is what's it all about!
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

JonR10

#17: Post by JonR10 »

HI Tim! :D

Check out the post I just made at CG

https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... 916#255916

Any of those roasters is a good pick.
Choose one a week or maybe two per month......

HB
Admin

#18: Post by HB »

TimEggers wrote:Can anyone recommend a specific espresso blend/seller to try? I have been using home roasted, but as Malachi outlines this may be shorting myself in the short term until I have a working fundamental ability.
The Coffees forum has several threads recommending popular blends (e.g., Good coffees I've had recently and Forgiving beginner's coffees?). Also remember to check out the HB supporters linked on the Resources page under Commerce; they often advertise HB coupon codes (e.g., Paradise Roasters, Classico Coffee, and Rocket Coffee are offering free samples / discounts as described in their banner ads).
Dan Kehn

TimEggers

#19: Post by TimEggers »

Hello Jon! :D

I recall that thread (it seems I read most everything you write/post) thanks again for pointing it out to me. I really hope to get going here again very soon, I am really excited and hope to someday post some pics like yours and the others I see abroad.

Dan,

My apologies :( , I should have checked that forum as you suggest, yes I know better :oops:. I appreciate your gentle reminder and kind point in the proper direction!

Man it's good to be back!
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

TimEggers

#20: Post by TimEggers »

Now that I am a little more seasoned this piece has really struck me as genius.

I admire and respect the true home baristas here. Truly.

I can only hope to someday become a home barista, to one day garner the skills and understanding to perform the art of making espresso.

So far I have loved my journey and enjoyed my progress. I have much to do and thanks to my friends here for the first time feel I can truly make it some day.

Thank you again.
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202