° and ± for Dummies - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Psyd

#11: Post by Psyd »

GVDub wrote:Don't we have enough religious warfare between tamp and no-tamp sects or HX vs. Double Boiler already?

It's kinda like the 'Squints vs Skweeks' war. It really isn't one, but it gives us a good reason to start up a conversation 'til we hit a shared topic we want to talk about.
I'm a PC user just because I'm a technician, and grew up with Commodore 64's. After hearing every Mac user tell me that I'd love it if I converted, I got a Powerbook Pismo, and did things to it that scared most Mac heroes. I understand how the Mac is supposed to work, I just can't make it do it. There are two different kinds of computers for a reason.
There are 10 different kinds of of computer users. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

GVDub
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by GVDub »

Like I said, I started out on mainframes. I've used just about everything since then, and currently have three different operating systems running on my laptop. I'm pretty platform agnostic. I just figure that they're tools. You don't use a Torx where you got a metric nut to tighten - why should computers be any different.

You kids today, you've got it easy. Why, when I was a boy, we didn't have zeroes. I once had to code an entire operating system using only '1's
"Experience is a comb nature gives us after we are bald."
Chinese Proverb
LMWDP#238

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#13: Post by orphanespresso »

Thanks for the info!

Back in the day....floor sorti the deck. Yes, I did...and he deserved it!

AndyS

#14: Post by AndyS »

cafeIKE wrote:Windows Users :

To enter ° [ Degree Mark ] : Hold down the ALT key and type 0176 on the NUMERIC KEYPAD
Hi Ike:

I used to produce a degree symbol by the method you specify. But since I am an exceptionally dumb dummy, nowadays I just use an F or a C (eg, 212F = 100C).

Everyone seems to know what that means, unless they're just humoring me.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

shadowfax

#15: Post by shadowfax »

I've always just humored you. Heck, I'm a Mac user, so it's easy for me to get to the ° symbol, and I still don't use it, just so you don't feel alone. :mrgreen:
Nicholas Lundgaard

AndyS

#16: Post by AndyS replying to shadowfax »

I appreciate your support. ;-)
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

cafeIKE (original poster)

#17: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

AndyS wrote:Hi Ike:

I used to produce a degree symbol by the method you specify. But since I am an exceptionally dumb dummy, nowadays I just use an F or a C (eg, 212F = 100C).

Everyone seems to know what that means, unless they're just humoring me.
212F != 100C. As one who reads HEX all day long, the missing ° throws an exception :?

In currency, 212F = 21,200c = € 32.319191654

snwlllvtthvwlstsvtm :P

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. replying to cafeIKE »

How do you get the Euro symbol?
LMWDP 267

Richard

#19: Post by Richard »

ALT 0128 = €
-- Richard

GVDub