Freezer odor and freezing coffee beans - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Ken5 (original poster)

#11: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

You say you can't recall a jar not popping as it warms, are you saying that the pop out button on the lid is sucked all the in when you freeze your beans, even when you start with room temperature beans? I would have thought that more heat before freezing would be required to create that kind of pressure.

Mine did make a sound and I felt resistance when lifting the lid off, but at this point I am not sure if it was the gummy gasket getting stuck to the glass or if it was true pressure. Tomorrow I will check the button before opening.

I did make my second shot tonight and as far as numbers go all seemed perfect, espresso was horrible. :( Hopefully it was a fluke. Perhaps one of the worst shots I have made recently. :(

Prodigy

#12: Post by Prodigy »

I'd be more concerned about my freezer having an off putting odor. I have never owned a freezer that smells, and if I did, I would replace it immediately.

Advertisement
cafeIKE

#13: Post by cafeIKE »

Ken5 wrote:You say you can't recall a jar not popping as it warms, are you saying that the pop out button on the lid is sucked all the in when you freeze your beans, even when you start with room temperature beans? I would have thought that more heat before freezing would be required to create that kind of pressure.
The button is sucked in when freezing.

The temperature delta is about the same. 70°-> 0°F when freezing coffee. ≈140°-> 70°F when canning. The 140 is an example only and could be off by a fair bit. Bottom line, plenty of delta to effect the seal.

LindoPhotography

#14: Post by LindoPhotography »

All you need to do is make sure your container is air tight, no plastic wrap necessary. Ideally you want the container near the back of the freezer, not on the door where temps may change every time door is opened, don't take the coffee out from freezer and put it back in, you should take it out of the freezer before you want to use it and leave it to warm up to room temperature before opening it to avoid condensation which will make the beans go downhill faster than they should.

cafeIKE

#15: Post by cafeIKE »

With a modern refrigerator, the air is circulated after the freezer is closed.

I measured long ago and in a quart mason jar the temperature delta from opening the door, adding, removing items is nada.

BruceWayne

#16: Post by BruceWayne »

Not that I was expecting a different result, but the month old beans I put in the freezer a couple weeks ago vs the beans I left in a Fellow Atmos the entire month tasted drastically better. What's the normal workflow, keep beans you expect to use in a week in a container and freeze everything else? Freeze everything?

jpender

#17: Post by jpender »

Freeze everything works. But if you're going to drink it in a week you can leave it out.

Advertisement
jdrobison

#18: Post by jdrobison »

I keep about a week's worth of beans in the vacuum container. The rest are vacuum sealed and stored in the freezer.

BruceWayne

#19: Post by BruceWayne »

It looks like grinding frozen beans has a significant impact on the quality of the grind. I decided to put half this week's coffee in the freezer and the other half on the counter. My machine and grinder were set up to pull a shot in ~30s at 9 bar for the coffee I was keeping out.

Counter:

Frozen:

I'm going to coarsen the grind for the frozen beans tomorrow.

Yes, there's lots of online documentation about the effects of freezing. I'm likely going to try to freeze all my coffee based on this.

jpender

#20: Post by jpender »

cafeIKE wrote:The temperature delta is about the same. 70°-> 0°F when freezing coffee. ≈140°-> 70°F when canning. The 140 is an example only and could be off by a fair bit. Bottom line, plenty of delta to effect the seal.
Canning is different since you're not cooling down air, you're cooling down water vapor. At room temperature water vapor pressure is about 2% what it is at boiling so the vacuum will be very good and the pressure on the lid will be close to atmospheric pressure. In comparison, cooling down air from 70° to 0°F will reduce the air pressure by only about 15%: the pressure on the lid will be around 2psi.