LMWDP Rollcall - Page 233

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#2321: Post by drgary »

So that the thread does not wander off topic, please PM Brandon with any suggestions or wait for him to post the question in the Buying Advice forum.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jsolanzo

#2322: Post by jsolanzo »

After about 5 or so years not having a lever machine, I am back!
LMWDP #355

Advertisement
CoffeeMac

#2323: Post by CoffeeMac »

I've been on HB for a few years now. In the beginning I thought this list and use of lever machines was just for a bunch of cranky, old-school curmudgeons not wanting to move into the modern era.

So I happily ignored them and went along my espresso journey:
  • ECM Giotto + Mazzer Mini
  • La Spaziale Vivaldi II + Mazzer Mini
  • La Spaziale Vivaldi II + Mazzer Mini w/Mazzer Major burrs
  • La Spaziale Vivaldi II + Kafatek Monolith Conical
Then the little Cafelat Robot entered the picture. I loved the silence and tactile nature of pulling a shot on the Robot; not to mention the often superior flavor/mouthfeel vs the La Spaz. Soon the Vivaldi was just steaming milk. It wasn't long before the La Spaz was sold and replaced with a Bellman stovetop steamer.

This setup lasted for about 6 months, but then I grew tired of filling and waiting for the water kettle to boil, and for the Bellman to come up to pressure each morning. I wanted something that would preserve the silent process, but eliminate the waiting and perhaps introduce a bit more consistency.

I had been following the Decent for many years after backing the ill-fated ZPM Kickstarter campaign. I noticed that the most popular profiles on the DE1 were levers with declining pressure and temperature profiles. In particular, the Londinium profile was the most-often cited. I figured why get an approximation when I could get the real thing? Despite having a discount available for a DE1 due to my ZPM history, I decided to go a completely different direction.

After a very quick search, I ended up getting a Londinium Compressa. I debated between it and the LR24 with its built-in pump and programmable pre-infusion, but ended up going for the simpler pump-less Compressa as I planned to plumb-in, and didn't want to hear the pump noise every shot nor deal with troubleshooting electronics, apps, WiFi settings, etc. Perhaps I am just becoming a bit of a curmudgeon?

Anyway, I've had the machine about a month now and am loving it. I ended up adding a Shurflo pump/accumulator and pressure regulator to enable the higher (4-6 bar) pre-infusion pressure I've found is needed to tame acidity of light roasts without going to 1:3 or higher brew ratios. At least this pump doesn't activate when you pull a shot, so my silent morning process is preserved.

Compared with my earlier setups, I find that I am exploring a lot broader range of roasts and roasters - I've got Chromatic, Ritual and Verve in the house now, vs. nothing but Redbird Espresso for years prior.

We'll see how long this setup lasts; there is a Max coming early next year but I think the Londinium (and the Robot) will remain for a while.

Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

tonejac

#2324: Post by tonejac »

I joined LMWDP (#707) but I haven't yet posted a photo of my set-up.

Here's my equipment list:
  • Olympia Cremina Express in White
  • Smart Espresso Profiler Attachment
  • Niche Zero in White
  • Acaia Lunar Scale in Silver
  • iPhone 7 in White (for pairing with the Scale and the SEP)
  • Dosing Funnel and Distribution Tool from EdekoDesign on Etsy
  • Leveler and Tamper from EscherLabs on Etsy
  • Silicone Bellows from BooshieCreations on Etsy
I'm almost 4 months in a loving every minute of it!
High hopes and low expectations.

italianfiddle

#2325: Post by italianfiddle »

Thanks to this forum, I've been up and running with a ridiculous yet wonderful combo of a Niche Zero and a '79 La Pavoni EP for just over a month. The shots are happening, and where it goes from here...
soli coffea gloria
LMWDP #708

Bonson

#2326: Post by Bonson »

Fell into the rabbit hole of specialty coffee last March 2020.

I started off with pourover and by September, met the cafelat Robot. By November, it arrived at my doorstep. I don't think I could ask for a better and more capable first espresso machine. It's straightforward yet produces excellent cups. I've probably caught the lever fever as I explore pressure profiling.

Now I'm looking into a Pavoni....... Cheers. May all your pulls be delicious!

athoangphan

#2327: Post by athoangphan »

I started my lever journey with an LP Europiccola which I ended up letting go after finding an LP Pro. A year later I found myself bidding on ebay and winning an LP Stradivari, but my most recent acquired lever is a 1 group Gaggia Orione which I am looking forward to restoring.

Advertisement
Osanovic

#2328: Post by Osanovic »

I bought an LP Europiccola about a year ago. I'm currently grinding with Kinu m47 Phoenix. This forum has been a source for essential information while finding my way around the (still quite difficult) ways of the LP.

/osanovic

LMWDP #711

Frenchman

#2329: Post by Frenchman »

Shortly after I moved to the USA, I joined a startup company, and one day, our CTO showed up with an Elektra lever. He bought it because he liked espresso and loved the look. None of us managed to make a decent cup of coffee with it (somehow only doing trial and error and not having any guidance). Nearly twenty five years later, I pre-ordered an Odyssey lever and this time I intend to learn well (both as a spring and a manual lever). Levers are beautiful and intriguing, and I look forward to the learning process (with a LMLM as a backup for those days where nothing else will go well).

LMWDP #712
LMWDP #712

djdriver

#2330: Post by djdriver »

Just realized I wasn't a member of the venerable LMWDP!
I first got into levers with a Robot, and quickly fell in love with the simplicity and tweak-ability of the lever profile.
I then fixed up an old 80s LP which was a lot of fun, and more recently did a total overhaul of an old rusty Cremina.
Got it back from the powder-coat shop today and now it's back up and running, so I guess that makes it a 3 lever household :D

I went with a color scheme midway between old hammer-tone gray and the new white models.

Any tips on attaching the metal tags without ruining the new paint job?