Aida Batlle Selection: Washed Kilimanjaro Discussion - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jbviau
Supporter ★

#71: Post by jbviau »

TomC wrote:As promised,

Aida just went live with her website. Folks will be able to buy her green coffee in home-roaster sized amounts.

https://aidabatlleselection.com/?fbclid ... rQZxZIqM0w
This is awesome! And there's the option to have 12 oz. of the "indigo reserve" roasted by Panther, just 30 min. from my house. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to order some soon to try.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#72: Post by aidabatlle »

Hey everyone. I just wanted to say thank you for your support! It has been an awesome response so far. I look forward to sharing all my processes with you, unique and traditional alike. Let me know if there is anything you want to see.
★★ Quite Helpful

Boldjava

#73: Post by Boldjava »

Love to see this Aida. Thanks to Tom's work, we have your delicious coffee based on the hard work of your farm laborers.

I remember your coffee from the first time I had it. It was the Blackapron special at Starbucks. Do you remember what year that was?
-----
LMWDP #339

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#74: Post by Brewzologist »

aidabatlle wrote:Hey everyone. I just wanted to say thank you for your support! It has been an awesome response so far. I look forward to sharing all my processes with you, unique and traditional alike. Let me know if there is anything you want to see.
Honored that you're here with us on HB as we learn how to best roast your coffee. Can you share your favorite roast of this bean? I noted on your website a roast level recommendation of City to Full City. So far I have been roasting to a City or even City-minus.

Almico

#75: Post by Almico »

Brewzologist wrote: So far I have been roasting to a City or even City-minus.
Don't be afraid to take this coffee a little further. It is very smooth at any roast level, but too light and it homogenizes into any other really good central. Still great, but less distinct. Don't go much hotter, but if you're hanging around 5-6* ROR towards the end of the roast, stretch it out 15-20 seconds instead of dropping right away. It will keep the juicy flavors, but lessen its impact. It will also add some nice tree nut notes and even more body.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#76: Post by mkane »

Lot's of posts, no tasting notes.

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#77: Post by aidabatlle »

Oh that was back in 2011 when I started the ABS program in Mexico. I am honored to be sharing all of this with you all and am here to learn from you. Want to hear your roasting profiles. I want to offer you all the opportunity to try all sorts of different processes from a single farm. This coming harvest I plan on having 1lbs batches available and give you the processing choices I give our green buyers. Not only from my family's farms but also some of the great producers I get to work with from El Salvador, Mexico abs Brazil.

My tasting notes...floral, cocoa, peach, cherry, honey, almond, molasses and orange.
★★ Quite Helpful

Rush

#78: Post by Rush »

The only reason I am sharing this is because I so appreciate Tom doing all of this work for us, because I'm a little embarrassed at my tasting notes.

I find this coffee to roast, look and taste like a natural. It has a strong fermenty blueberry note, with a background of almond. This is the first roast of the first bag, so I'll see if I maybe did get a bag of natural instead of washed. Otherwise, I have no idea. In any event, this coffee is delicious. If it's a natural it's one of the sweetest naturals I have ever had. If it's the washed, it's an odd one but delicious all the same!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#79: Post by mkane »

Did 2 roasts of this coffee today, both dropped close to 20° after 1C start.

Ground up 25g, let sit 1 hr. Immersion brew in Clever Dripper. I'm drinking as I one finger type. This smells wonderful. I just can't put my finger on it but, it smells sweet like a nice caramel.

I can't say it's floral. More like a nice plum.

As it cools a bit it remains the same. That nose is still there. I'm leaving a slurp in the cup to cool

I like this coffee.

To think a couple of years ago all I drank was oily beans. :roll:

aidabatlle
Sponsor

#80: Post by aidabatlle »

I love all of the feedback. As a producer I normally don't get to hear all of it directly from the consumers, thank you for letting me be a part of this chat.

As far as the Washed tasting like a Natural, we work our magic in processing but still haven't been able to do this. Please let me know if the other coffee you have is the Washed.