Water recommendation - Page 2

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
homeburrero
Team HB

#11: Post by homeburrero »

jmm007 wrote:Can someone please post a link to the rpalvis water recipe?
Dr. Pavlis discussed it in various places, including this post: 1977 La Pavoni Europiccola with green deposits/scale
rpavlis, in linked post above wrote: .... I personally use, as I have stated many times, about 0.5 to 1.0 mMolar potassium bicarbonate. You can simply add from 250 to 500 milligrams of potassium bicarbonate to a 5 litre container. You can use sodium bicarbonate too, but I do not like doing that because it seems to create peculiar flavours because Na is very low in coffee beans.
(The container was filled to 5 liters with distilled water.)

You'll find other recipes geared towards 1 gallon or 5 gallon jugs, and recipes that make use of strong concentrate solutions so that you don't have to weigh out tiny amounts.

Here's one easy example:
Get a 750 ml stoppered bottle, add 9.6 gram of potassium bicarbonate to that, and fill with 750 ml of purified or distilled water. Shake well and keep in the fridge. Then for every US gallon of purified water just add 1 to 2 tablespoons of that concentrate. (1 US tablespoon, or 15 grams, works out to 0.5 mMolar bicarbonate -- or a total alkalinity bump of 25 mg/L as CaCO3.) If you go with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) you would use a little less - about 8.1 g instead of 9.6 g in that concentrate bottle.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h
★ Helpful

jrham12

#12: Post by jrham12 »

homeburrero wrote:You'll find other recipes geared towards 1 gallon or 5 gallon jugs, and recipes that make use of strong concentrate solutions so that you don't have to weigh out tiny amounts.

Here's one easy example:
Get a 750 ml stoppered bottle, add 9.6 gram of potassium bicarbonate to that, and fill with 750 ml of purified or distilled water. Shake well and keep in the fridge. Then for every US gallon of purified water just add 1 to 2 tablespoons of that concentrate. (1 tablespoon works out to 0.5 mMolar bicarbonate -- or a total alkalinity bump of 25 mg/L as CaCO3.) If you go with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) you would use a little less - about 8.1 g instead of 9.6 g in that concentrate bottle.
Homeburrero, I had been following this example which I believe is the same as you posted in an earlier thread as a bicarb spike for Nestle purelife water... However, keeping the spike in the fridge wasn't mentioned at that time... I've just been keeping it in a cabinet in the kitchen. Does the spike solution need to be kept refrigerated?

Thank you!
Josh

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#13: Post by homeburrero »

jrham12 wrote:I've just been keeping it in a cabinet in the kitchen. Does the spike solution need to be kept refrigerated?
I suggested keeping it in the fridge for the same reason that they advise keeping opened bottled water in the fridge - a dark cold place is best to keep the container free of possible microbial growth. The concentrate bottle may take a long while to use up and it has no chlorine disinfectant in that water. But keeping it in a cabinet should be OK if you keep the bottle clean (and don't take sips from it :wink: )
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

jrham12

#14: Post by jrham12 replying to homeburrero »

Thank you for the explanation!

Josh