Article Feedback: Banish Uneven Extractions with Weiss Distribution Technique

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#1: Post by RapidCoffee »

Have you ever been plagued with espresso extraction problems? Perhaps your pours show early blonding and taste bitter. If you've tried a naked portafilter, you may have observed channeling, spritzies, rim shots, and other evidence of uneven extraction. Any of these extraction flaws may cause unbalanced and undesirable flavors in the cup.

These problems often relate to uneven distribution of coffee grounds in the filter basket. Learn a simple new dosing and distribution technique dubbed the WDT that attacks uneven distribution and helps cure many extraction flaws.

Read more...

Dogshot

#2: Post by Dogshot »

Great write-up John. Now that the WDT has been thoroughly integrated into my routine, I find that I can do it very quickly. I updose by gently tapping around the circumference of the PF with my finger after removing the yogurt container and before tamping, and it is really effective. It is so satisfying to taste espresso free from the bitterness of a poor extraction.

By the way, thank you for the acknowledgment - it made me laugh out loud with surprise.

Mark

RapidCoffee (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by RapidCoffee (original poster) »

Dogshot wrote:By the way, thank you for the acknowledgment - it made me laugh out loud with surprise.
Credit where due, my friend, credit where due...

puffinjk

#4: Post by puffinjk »

The WDT really works. Great article john keep up the good work.

Jim

pburbridge

#5: Post by pburbridge »

Great article, I started using your method after I saw the collage you posted on the "watch out JonR" thread on coffeegeek and it makes a hugh difference. Probably the tip that has most improved my espresso extractions.

Peter

richl1

#6: Post by richl1 »

Add me to the WDT convert list. My Mazzer Doser SJ fills the pf favoring the left side. The WDT technique proves to me that I always had poor distribution at the bottom on the pf. I had some success dosing while grinding, but it was not as consistent as the WDT.

I don't like the added minute it takes to build a shot, but the added consistency is worth while.

Thanks for the article,
Rich

snoboy

#7: Post by snoboy »

This post is just to add the word Weiss to the thread so that future searchers can find it. ;) I missed the thread on my earlier search.

My initial tests of the WDT are favourable as well. It seems to be an easy way to get more consistent distribution.

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

RapidCoffee,

YOU ROCK !! I fully concur with Dan's comment - this is one of the best suggestions/techniques yet !!

Eric S.

Romano

#9: Post by Romano »

I am another convert. I tried this technique at Espresso Fest in Charlotte. Ever since, my shots, kidding, are 90% of time even. and I mean, amazingly and consistently even. Thank you so much!!
Jordi Romano

Grant

#10: Post by Grant »

richl1 wrote:I don't like the added minute it takes to build a shot, but the added consistency is worth while.
What are you doing that adds 1 minute? Other than plopping on my plastic ring (bottom of a tupperware container that fits perfectly in a 58mm PF) and stirring, everything else is as normal. Maybe adds 10 seconds to my routine. How long are your stirring for?

Grant