Thinking of a lever machine - but I have a few questions

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Teme

#1: Post by Teme »

I may be interested in purchasing a lever machine as a second (in addition to my Andreja Premium) home machine at some stage. I'd still be pulling the shots with Andreja on a daily basis and the lever would be for occasional use mainly on weekends or other times when I have more time to savour the experience and the inclination for a more "hands on" approach to the preparation of my shots. I am aware of the fact that the learning curve is likely to be quite steep and I had the first taste of this yesterday with a friends La Pavoni Europiccola pictured here. A few hours were definitely not enough to get the best out of it but I may soon have the opportunity to spend a week with this machine.

I have also read Steve Robinson's Elektra vs La Pavoni and Karl Schneider's Elektra MC a leva threads with great interest.

As regards the choices of lever home machines that are available on the market, I have come up with the following alternatives:

Arte di Poccino
Elektra Microcasa a Leva
Gaggia Achille
La Pavoni Europiccola
La Pavoni Professional
La Cimbali Microcimbali
Olympia Cremina
Zacconi Gaudenzio Baby
Zacconi Gaudenzio Copertina Baby Quadra
Zacconi Gaudenzio Riviera

The Gensaco (or Capucio - not sure which is right) lever machines appear to be interesting in the sense that they seem to have a 56mm filter basket, but as far as I know they are not available in Europe (unless they are just rebrands of another make).

What I have had difficulty in is finding information on the Zacconi machines (pictures, specs and experiences vs the more well know machines). Would anyone have more info on these? Does anyone know if the manufacturer has a website? I have also noted that many of the machines listed above appear to share some of the major components, e.g. the grouphead on the La Pavoni, Poccina and Zocconi machines appears very similar, perhaps even the same? I am yet undecided on whether the fully manual (e.g. the La Pavoni) or a spring loaded (e.g. the Elektra) lever machine would be the one to go for. I am trying to narrow down the choice of machines and any further information on the rarer machines would be much appreciated - specifically, are they superior and therefore worth considering? As it stands, the "safe" choice would probably been between the Elektra and the La Pavoni - but even here I am wondering what the real benefits of the professional over the europiccola are if one is just pulling a couple of shots per session (I think you can even add a boiler pressure gauge to the Europiccola if you want)?

The fact that I am likely to have a full week with the La Pavoni is great as I will have the opportunity to get better acquainted with it and this might also help in my decision making process. Even within the first few hours I spent with it, I already noticed most of the common comments that have been made on the La Pavoni, i.e. the hot surfaces, the lurching when pulling a shot, overheating, basket size and fit etc. Even though the shots I pulled were not yet in the same class as the ones I pull with my Andreja (e.g. the crema was a lot thinner and there was a lot less mouthfeel with the Pavoni shots), it is clear that there is potential for improvement - and the experience of pulling a shot with one of these is a joy. Any tips on how to get the most out of the La Pavoni within the week I may be having it at my disposal would be great! I have already checked out these sites:
http://www.lightlink.com/kazys/pavoni.html
http://www.gurus.net/pavoni/

Br,
Teme

KarlSchneider

#2: Post by KarlSchneider »

Teme wrote:I may be interested in purchasing a lever machine as a second (in addition to my Andreja Premium) home machine at some stage. I'd still be pulling the shots with Andreja on a daily basis and the lever would be for occasional use mainly on weekends or other times when I have more time to savour the experience and the inclination for a more "hands on" approach to the preparation of my shots.
Teme,

You might be surprised. This could turn out different from what you anticipate. The HX machines are great in many ways. The phrase "semi-commercial" and the associated possibility to make many shots for friends seems central. I associate Brueghel's Wedding Feast with them. But if you want a painting for a lever machine, I would go for Rembrandt's Philosopher in Meditation.

As they say around here the major factor is on the opposite end of the pf.

I look forward to hearing how you work this out for yourself. As I have said, I could not be happier with my Elektra. But that is me.
LMWDP # 008

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Teme wrote:The Gensaco (or Capucio - not sure which is right) lever machines appear to be interesting in the sense that they seem to have a 56mm filter basket, but as far as I know they are not available in Europe (unless they are just rebrands of another make).
See Elektra Micro Casa vs. Gensaco Capucio King (the website is quoting the outer diameter of the basket).

My advice is to narrow the field with some distinguishing criteria beyond performance (which is more dependent on you than anything). One that comes to mind that you didn't mention is the ease of getting parts, although this weighs less heavily for levers than pump machines.
Dan Kehn

srobinson

#4: Post by srobinson »

Teme wrote:La Pavoni - but even here I am wondering what the real benefits of the professional over the europiccola are if one is just pulling a couple of shots per session (I think you can even add a boiler pressure gauge to the Europiccola if you want)?
While there have been several changes over the years, the professional and the Europiccola are basically the same except for boiler size. The Pro is marketed as 16 cup and the Europiccola is advertised as 8. You are only going to get a couple good shots from both before the grouphead temp gets too high, so I would only think Pro if you are going to do a decent quantity of milk as well. If you look at older units, there will be some differences between the two since the Europiccola kept the dual switch much longer after the Pro converted to the automatic cutoff.

The Europiccola does have a threaded screw on top of the sight-glass that will allow you to add a gauge if you want one. You can see this screw in the picture of the one on your link.
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

srobinson

#5: Post by srobinson »

I would also reiterate Dan's point. While these have fewer parts, you still want to be able to get replacements when you need them. Handles age, drip trays crack, gaskets need replacing, sight glass covers fog...etc. They can last a lifetime but will take a few pieces along the way.
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

srobinson

#6: Post by srobinson »

I'll leave you with the following advice. Since this will be your first lever, go with either the Elektra or the Pavoni. Both are beautiful machines and will entertain you for hours. What I also like about these is that there are good communities around them and you have easy access to guys that can make them sing. Also should you decide that they do not fit your skills/patience/coffee usage etc, then there is a ready secondary market that will pick them up at a good price and leave you no worse for the experience. Then when you master it, you can start pining for one of the more exotic machines and broaden our horizons with your exploits.

Please let me know when I can grant you a LMWDP number.
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

Evening Teme. I have a Gaggia Factory, re-branded Pavoni, in the larger 16 cup model. I like it. It adds another dimension to the espresso process, albeit sometimes a frustrating dimension. I have the new style with the 51mm PF.

My two cents, I like the chrome finish over brass, does not show scratches as bad. You learn to deal with the hot surfaces after the first couple cases of hot hands. The light weight base does want to move around as you have found. I cut a piece of router mat to form fit under the base. That helped immensely with the machine wanting to wiggle around during use. I was going to take the bottom off and double stick tape a lead ingot in it to add some heft. You are not going to pull more than three shots in a row with the Pavoni. After that the head overheats. I have never quite gotten micro foam from the steam tip but I get close. The crema is thinner than my Isomac but still acceptable. I think I get a thicker/buttery mouthfeel with the lever, but that may just be me. I missed the cup warmer on the machine. I have a small electric mug warmer that I put my cup on to heat. Then pull a blank into the cup to finish heating it.

I actually have my machine at work in my office. No pumps, no noise. Now having said that, if I did it again, I think I would go with the Elektra. The spring assist would make the shots more consistent but remove some of the old world charm, and I just really like the looks of the Elektra.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Well hello Karl. You are the first person I have seen from Ohio, and just down 68 from me. I work in Springfield, live in Dayton. Greetings. :P

Teme (original poster)

#9: Post by Teme (original poster) »

Hi all! And thank you for your input.
HB wrote:My advice is to narrow the field with some distinguishing criteria beyond performance (which is more dependent on you than anything). One that comes to mind that you didn't mention is the ease of getting parts, although this weighs less heavily for levers than pump machines.
Thank you Dan. From that thread and upon further research I have come to the conclusion that the Zacconi, Poccino and Gensaco/Capucio machines are the same (Zacconi Gaudenzio being the manufacturer and the others being rebrands). That narrows it down some and the fact that these machines are hard to find is also a factor - if finding a vendor that can sell me the machine is difficult I think it is safe to assume that parts availability would not be any better either. Hence, I am dropping these from my list.
srobinson wrote:I would only think Pro if you are going to do a decent quantity of milk as well.
A fair point and logical consider the differences in the boiler size. My first go at frothing with the Europiccola was pitiful. I will have another opportunity try this next week when I will have it at my disposal for a week- although I will be focusing on pulling shots.
srobinson wrote:The Europiccola does have a threaded screw on top of the sight-glass that will allow you to add a gauge if you want one. You can see this screw in the picture of the one on your link.
The owner of the machine in the picture actually told me that he has the gauge but it will not fit because a) the threads do not match in size, i.e. he would need an adaptor of some sort and b) the adaptor needs to bring the gauge up slightly - otherwise the boiler cap will be in the way...
srobinson wrote:I'll leave you with the following advice. Since this will be your first lever, go with either the Elektra or the Pavoni. Both are beautiful machines and will entertain you for hours. What I also like about these is that there are good communities around them and you have easy access to guys that can make them sing. Also should you decide that they do not fit your skills/patience/coffee usage etc, then there is a ready secondary market that will pick them up at a good price and leave you no worse for the experience. Then when you master it, you can start pining for one of the more exotic machines and broaden our horizons with your exploits.
I am leaning this way too, i.e. Elektra vs Pavoni. The Olympia sounds very tempting (e.g. no overheating), or would do so if it wasn't for the price (and potential parts availability difficulties). It also looks great in an understated functional way where the Elektra is more like an artsy sculpture (in addition to its function). The Elektra does have a few very attractive qualities like the consistency of the spring lever, the steaming capability and results (as per Mark Prince's review on CG) and the fact that it is available with the nice case for transport or temporary storage...

Steve, could you specify in more detail as to the communities around the Elektra? There seem to be a few sites dedicated to the La Pav but I have not found any such thing on the Elektra...
srobinson wrote:Please let me know when I can grant you a LMWDP number.
Will do. The fact that the new machine will take up further counter space was not well received by my better half. The Elektra with its looks (could even be displayed in the living room as per Dan's post in the Elektra vs La Pav thread) and/or the case (for putting it away occasionally) are plusses in favour of the Elektra. It seems I have almost convinced myself to go for the Elektra. Let's see if a week with the La Pav will change this. Also, I am currently in the process of convincing my significant other on the benefits of and need for the purchase - a tough job ;-)

Br,
Teme

Walter

#10: Post by Walter »

I've pondering the idea of having a small, cheap machine as a second one for office, vacations, as a backup at home, etc. for a while. Having put off my upgrading desire at home and due to the positive feedback on lever machines here and elsewhere, I am now seriously considering to buy an Elektra or MicroCimbali for that purpose (though I suppose that neither of these would ever make it to the office anyway, and they are not cheap either)...

In his 2002 report on CG, Mark Prince mentions something like the drip tray on his Micro Casa being the only real nuisance. Is this still an issue with the current Elektras or has that been fixed, I wonder?