The Best Shot You've Ever Had

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#1: Post by Abe Carmeli »

Almost everything people say about New York is true to some extent (perhaps with one exception: New Yorkers are not universally rude). But one that strikes me the most is how cosmopolitan it really is. My neighbors are from 12 different countries, and I am talking only of 3 floors in my building. In my close social circle there are people from eight countries, which make for some fantastic dinner parties. My friend Beatrice had her parents visit from France last week, and we were sitting for dinner. We talked about good food, something most French people will gladly share with you, as Beatrice's father started reciting a complete five course dinner he had 35 years ago in Lyon. My mouth was watering as he described the nuances of every bite, and the blow by blow progression of that evening. Which brings me to my point: Do we have the same experience with espresso? Do you have a clear memory of some exceptional shots?

I do have a particular memory of one exceptional shot. 6:00 am, alone in my kitchen as the sun just started rising over Central Park. I was thinking about that shot the whole day thereafter, and I waited eagerly for the next morning to pull another one. But, as the Buddhist saying goes - You cannot dip into the same river twice. Those shots should stay few and far apart.
Abe Carmeli

srobinson

#2: Post by srobinson »

Let's see. 1987 newlywed on our honeymoon in Greece and Turkey. I am sitting with my new bride having just purchased my first oriental rug which cost more than the car I was driving. I am sitting there with my head in my hands when a young boy brings me my first turkish coffee.....wow...thick, flavor, exotic...what the hell is this. I can still taste it today and could still take you to the shop.....and it helped me learn to live in the moment.
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

malachi

#3: Post by malachi »

the list is so long... it's impossible to choose a "best", but yes - i can describe them all.

from the perfect rich, creamy caramel single espresso one morning at Giacosa in Firenze (with a gorgeous risotto custard pastry on the side); to the second macchiatto David Schomer ever made for me (Vita, made on the older Triplette machine, with wonderful burnt sugar sweetness and an interesting dried fruit and musk note in the body); to a shot of El Salvador Las Nubitas pulled for me one night at the downtown Stumptown location by Kyle Larson (Caramel covered roasted apples); to a perfect shot of Stumptown Hairbender one morning all by myself opening up a cafe (I had to stop in my tracks and sit down to savor it); to a shot of Terroir Daterra pulled for me backstage at the WBC by Troels (sweet fruit and lovely volatile aromatics); to the shocking perfect cappuccino at the Pisa airport one morning waiting for a delayed flight to London; to one of Bronwen's honey macchiattos one morning when i was feeling particularly hungover and regretful...

i hope to never forget any of them and can probably describe most of them down to the type of cup used.

then again - they say i'm obsessed.

NewEnglandCliff

#4: Post by NewEnglandCliff »

I was thinking along the lines of your last line before I read it.

Wow, what a memory! It all fades for me, but that makes me look forward to the next pour to refresh it.

I can see how your ability to recall would make you yearn for the next elixr as well.
Dolce Vita,

NEC

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

All this Zen-like discussion has got me thinking. It's really easy to get all wrapped up in the "challenge" of pulling a godshot and miss the moment. Tomorrow morning and for as long as I can keep reminding myself, I will focus on "staying in the present."

Back to the original question, yes, I remember exceptional shots vividly. Two in particular come to mind. The first corresponded with the day when Mars reached its closest orbit with the Earth a couple years back (no joking, I have documentary evidence of the experience). I'm not suggesting the two are related and I only realized it after the fact.

The other was at this Italian restaurant in Paris (Enoteca, metro St. Paul). Sadly most espresso served in France was pretty sub-standard, but on a whim I ordered an espresso after dinner. Served as a 3/4 ounce ristretto that barely coated the cup, it was the best I tasted in four years living overseas.

I wonder though how much of my memory is influenced by the experience. The meal was equally fantastic and the wine recommendations were wonderful (I know little of wine but they featured four top-notch choices by the glass nightly; I always deferred to their recommendations). Would I have the same vivid memory if the same espresso had passed through my lips under more ordinary circumstances? I'm not sure.
Dan Kehn

Abe Carmeli (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by Abe Carmeli (original poster) »

HB wrote:All this Zen-like discussion has got me thinking.
LOL, The Zen moment was on my other thread not this one, but I forgive you because your next comment got me laughing for two straight minutes.
I remember exceptional shots vividly. Two in particular come to mind. The first corresponded with the day when Mars reached its closest orbit with the Earth a couple years back (no joking, I have documentary evidence of the experience).
Yeah. That one.
I wonder though how much of my memory is influenced by the experience. The meal was equally fantastic and the wine recommendations were wonderful (I know little of wine but they featured four top-notch choices by the glass nightly; I always deferred to their recommendations). Would I have the same vivid memory if the same espresso had passed through my lips under more ordinary circumstances? I'm not sure.
I absolutely agree that the experience is highly influenced by the environment. A Bad shot will always be bad, but good ones really get amplified by what preceded them, and your state of mind
Abe Carmeli

luca
Team HB

#7: Post by luca »

Abe Carmeli wrote:A Bad shot will always be bad, but good ones really get amplified by what preceded them, and your state of mind
Good call. Certainly applies to a wonderful shot that I had at LM in Florence. I'd emailed ahead and organised to go on a tour of the factory. Ron Cook emailed me directions how to get there. I had about a 1/2km walk from the bus stop, and it was snowing. When I got in, Ron showed me up to their coffee area, which had a great view down the side of the mountain/hill and a hotrodded Linea in it ... anyhoo, I digress. He pumped out two singles that had the most amazing mouthfeel that I've ever tasted, but was relatively flat in flavour profile. It was like oil, but fluffy. Much nicer than anything that the crotchless on any machine that I've tried has produced. I asked him about it and it turned out that the blend was 50% robusta. Sigh ... no one seems to seek out great quality robusta here in Australia ...

Second top shot (wasn't a god shot) was the day *before* a bunch of competitors and judges from the Australian Barista Comp dropped by to visit us at Maltitude. I'd just returned from having a quick drop in to the Victorian Barista Comp (Victoria is a state; I'm aware that Australia is like another planet to anyone who's not from here ;P). Andrew told me that the beans absolutely perfect. I leapt behind the bar and did my routine. Flushed the machine and it seemed a bit hot, so I flushed for about another five seconds. Bam. Phenomenal. Two ristretti that were like a mixture of chocolate and wine, sticking to the side of the cups and painting our tongues.

Of course, my ristretti the next day were crap!

Third shot that will always be near and dear was the first shot that I got from Silvia that I felt could really go toe-to-toe with a shot from the Azkoyen. I'd updosed all the way and surfed for a bit longer than average. Two espressi, but cut a bit short (I tend to do this at home). I just had a sip before turning them into short macchiati. At first my impression was of a really dark chocolate. As I poured the macs, I started to notice some really smooth acidity. At least the art was good!

Hmm ... thinking about it now, it seems like Atomica Dark likes a lower brew temp ...
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

For every ying there's a yang. For every godshot, there's many many sink shots. If you have a particularly memorable one, tell us about it in the Sink Shots Contest! :shock:
Dan Kehn

dougny

#9: Post by dougny »

04 Jun 05 - Gimme Coffee Brooklyn NY

I did not know the depth of the journey I am on.

The espresso that I had there today was UNBELIEVEABLE!

Like a cup of sweet oil with foam all over the top.

aeroplane

#10: Post by aeroplane »

In Bonaire, N.A. (in the Caribbean off the coast of Venezuela, in the same group of islands as Aruba and Curacao) there is a restaurant in town, on the waterfront called La Guernica.

The house coffee is a 4-5oz Cafe Crema, made from beans roasted in Holland and shipped to the carribean. (Not very fresh...)

I have no idea how, but that coffee was incredible - I am pausing at the keyboard reminiscing -

Sweet. Especially the bit that lingered on your palate after swallowing. Very smooth - almost oily mouthfeel. Great aroma, not unlike the fresh opened bag of coffee. And every time it was served at that magical temperature that makes you want to guzzle is down in one fell swoop, but somehow I restrained myself, and instead merely drank it fairly fast. The bottom of the cup would come too soon, and I would look forward to the next day's cup. For 5 days it didn't disappoint.

I doubt very highly that the next time I dive Bonaire the coffee will be the same little bit of magic, but if it is, I will only love that little island more.

LMWDP #82