Dual boiler vs. PID HX espresso machine (Profitec Pro 600 vs Bezzera Magica PID) - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
slybarman

#11: Post by slybarman »

cortado_22 wrote:Even if it comes with a 1000 usd difference?
$1000 of your money . . . absolutely. :lol:

seriously though, still yes. i went from HX to DB about 3-4 years ago. No going back.

cortado_22 (original poster)

#12: Post by cortado_22 (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:For me, at least, waiting isn't a problem because the Synchronika starts out at 2 bar and because recovery is quite fast. For example, I make two 6 ounce (175 ml) cappuccinos each morning, using ~200 ml of milk in a 500 ml jug. By the time the temperature of the milk has risen to 60C, the pressure drops to about 1.25 bar. It recovers to in about than 30 seconds, but as I make two at a time, I'm all done :) . However, when we have company and I do six or eight of these, two at a time, by the time I've poured the milk into the first two, and set up the machine for shot #3, the steam has already fully recovered. Another example, on Sundays I do two 12-ounce Mochas. Each mug has about 200 ml of milk, 2 heaping teaspoons of sugar and one of cocoa powder. Another 200 ml of milk is in the foaming jug. I pull a longish double shot of espresso into each mug. So, each mug has about 250 ml of liquid plus the dry ingredients. I steam the first mug up to 60C, during which time the steam drop to a bit below 1.25 bar (it goes somewhat lower than for the cappuccinos on account of more liquid and the heavy mug). I wait about 30 seconds, until the pressure is approaching 2 bar, and steam the second mug. Ditto for the third and finally for the milk in the jug. I like a lot of steam, which is why I wait the 30 seconds between steaming. However, older and some current machines have 1 to 1.5 bar boilers, which is still plenty of steam to create good foam; so I really don't need to wait. Also, I use a 4-hole tip. With the stock 2-hole tip, the steam pressure wouldn't likely drop as low, although I've never tested to see.
That's so informative! Great, so no problem with steaming. Things are getting much clearer... thank you !

cortado_22 (original poster)

#13: Post by cortado_22 (original poster) »

slybarman wrote:$1000 of your money . . . absolutely. :lol:

seriously though, still yes. i went from HX to DB about 3-4 years ago. No going back.
LOL
The price difference isn't a deal breaker for me... with all the details I got from this post a DB machine seems like a good investment.
Thanks for the advice