Expobar overheats like clockwork

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
sirduke

#1: Post by sirduke »

I have an Expobar Office Lever Plus. It's served me well over the years but the pressure-stat fails like clockwork every 6 months which causes the machine to overheat. It seems to be a common issue and I'd like a longer term fix, especially as the replacement part is getting harder to find and the cost is adding up.

I've seen some discussion about adding a solid state relay but I don't know what part to buy or where to start - I'm handy but don't have much experience with electronics. Anybody go down that route and have some other tips? Or is there a better p-stat out there that'll fit?

austinado16

#2: Post by austinado16 »

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

You might also just install a SIRAI PRESSURE STAT if there is space, that's what's in most commercial machines and they pretty much never break, but they are bigger and you might need a different pipe or to bend the one you have. And they are a bit louder.

Or add a SSR. I've used these for other things before and they've worked fine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324776050088?h ... SwfDZguwO5

Pick the SSR-40AA one for $8.09. Then I'd get a piece of aluminum plate as big as will fit and around 1/8" thick to mount it to as a heatsink. Mount it where it has the best chance of staying cool and dry.

sirduke (original poster)

#4: Post by sirduke (original poster) »

damn, these are great tips. thank you! and yes the pressure stat is that mater-type one.

WWWired

#5: Post by WWWired replying to sirduke »

Hi sirduke :) Do you happen to have a photo of the pressurestat you can post here? Any writing on it will assist greatly :)

wachuko

#6: Post by wachuko »

Any additional documentation would be extremely helpful.

We have an Expobar in our second home. Recently replaced the heating element and bought a spare just in case there are parts availability issues.

If this is a long-term concern, would love to have all the parts ready and clear steps for upgrading.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

#7: Post by sirduke (original poster) »

I've attached pictures. here's the part that I have on order (Mater XP110). I'm not super savvy but it looks like the pstat's top wire connects to the high temp limit switch and the bottom wire connects to the gicar control board.

austinado16

#8: Post by austinado16 »

Your high limit switch is fried and needs to be replaced, even if it still seems to work. When you install the new high limit switch, rotate the body so that the electrical connectors are not right next to the metal boiler fittings/pipes. I would also remove, clean, and re-attach that ground wire that's connected to the top of the boiler.

#9: Post by sirduke (original poster) »

will do! I knew that high limit looked bad when I opened her up :oops:

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

And make sure the connector on the hot side is still good, appears it might need replacement also.