New precision baskets - Page 9

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Ben Z.

#81: Post by Ben Z. »

yakster wrote:Laser Ablation is just the name for a process of removing material with a laser.
I'm talking about the "individual" part.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#82: Post by yakster »

I assume it means each hole in the basket is individually laser ablated.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
Frenchman

#83: Post by Frenchman »

bakafish wrote:It is like a puck screen. You can take it out.
Have you tried the pedantry coffee basket you posted? If so, what did you think?

The product page is still a bit confusing for me when selecting options, as the CNY 128 "white light baking double bowl set" and the CNY 148 "light gray body cone suit" (names from Google Translate) both bring up a picture of what looks like the smaller basket with sloped edges near the bottom. Maybe the pictures are incorrect (this happens often) but the descriptions aren't? But it seems like they make both styles in both finishes from the pictures, so this seems weird unless they don't have stock of all models.

Also, for others, below is Google Translate's translation of the desription of their two baskets.
Google Translate wrote: Powder bowl water separator set

The powder bowl with fine opening has denser and larger opening area, which improves the extraction effect and reduces the fine powder during extraction. It is equipped with two specially designed water distribution nets, Cicada and Aloe, respectively, to make the pressed powder more stable and distribute water more evenly.

The straight version has 2000+ holes in the Cylinder and 21g of medium-baking powder; the narrow-body version has 1500+
holes in the cone and 18g of medium-baking powder.

High-precision powder bowl and secondary water separator set: dual-layer set. The product includes a powder bowl and a newly developed secondary water separation net. The powder bowl is suitable for a 58mm handle, the amount of powder is 18.5g for light baking, 16g for deep baking, and the height is 22mm. The current version is low to medium flow. Compared with imported well-known powder bowls, the particle size of the filtered fine powder is smaller, and the fine powder settled at the bottom of the cup is almost invisible to the naked eye. No grooves on the edge, better distribution and tamping and extraction stability.

Both the upper and lower layers of the set achieve fine filtration effects, and the upper and lower layers cooperate to form a "sandwich biscuit-like squeezing effect", which improves the stability of the powder cake, obtains uniform extraction, and greatly improves the extraction quality.
LMWDP #712

bakafish

#84: Post by bakafish »

Frenchman wrote:Have you tried the pedantry coffee basket you posted? If so, what did you think?

The product page is still a bit confusing for me when selecting options, as the CNY 128 "white light baking double bowl set" and the CNY 148 "light gray body cone suit" (names from Google Translate) both bring up a picture of what looks like the smaller basket with sloped edges near the bottom. Maybe the pictures are incorrect (this happens often) but the descriptions aren't? But it seems like they make both styles in both finishes from the pictures, so this seems weird unless they don't have stock of all models.

Also, for others, below is Google Translate's translation of the description of their two baskets.
I don't have it.

Some translations are wrong. The "bowl" or "powder bowl" means "filter basket". The "water separator" means "shower screen" which is "puck screen" here.

The CNY 128 should be straight wall version, and the CNY 148 is cone shaped version. The depth is 22mm. The pictures should be wrong linked. Both are cone shaped. Please ignore the color in the selection descriptions. They don't have any meaning. The Color in the Web UI is designed for sellers to put their same product with different colors, but many sellers used it to put their different models but similar products. The seller just typed meaningless color in the description.

The straight wall version is with the ALOE puck screen, and the cone shaped version is with the CICADA puck screen.

From the pictures of users comments, the puck screen and the bottom of the basket of the cone shaped version are two layered.

The straight wall version

Frenchman

#85: Post by Frenchman »

Thanks for the info on the "sizing." Some pictures led me to think that they had two finishes as some "cone" baskets lol like s dark gray. I had figured out what "powder bowl" means. It's always good to get a confirmation. I kinda doubt that any basket is actually dual layered. My guess is that when they talk about that they talk about the basket plus puck screen. There's only one way to know for sure...

I think I will take a chance on the 22 mm basket, and report my findings. I dose around 18 g most of the time, that should work.
LMWDP #712

jmvdigital
Supporter ♡

#86: Post by jmvdigital »

I tried the Sworksdesign Billet Basket "standard flow" version and ended up selling after about a week. To me, the quality of the taste and mouthfeel was worse with it than the VST I typically use.

I ground finer by about 2 ticks on my P64, compared to the VST basket. I always use them same flow control workflow (~20 sec 2 bar preinfusion, up to 9 bar, fade the flow/pressure as the shot progresses) with 18gr in, 45-50gr out. At the time I was working with Huck's Phantom Limb, which is a fruity light roast.

I got the timing and grind pretty dialed, and the taste was consistent... very thin mouthfeel, little body, very little crema, and a distinctly brighter, more acidic taste. The thin layer of crema also had a very very light blonde color, compared to the darker, speckled crema with my VST. There was no tiger striping or flecking with the Billet Basket, presumably because the smaller holes kept out more fines. It almost didn't feel like espresso; the acidity and thinness was off-putting to me.

I wrote to Sheldon about my findings, but he didn't have any significant input. He suggested increasing water temperate up to 100C, and trying different grind settings.

In end, I decided I vastly preferred the taste of the VST espresso, and didn't need to keep a $220 basket just because it looked amazing. I also had to grind out the bottom of my ECM naked portafilter handle to get the Billet Basekt to fit, which was an annoying chore.

Capuchin Monk

#87: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Jaroslav wrote:Just wanted to share this ripoff. May enable more people get their hands on these and try them out without speding 350€ on a basket. Turns out it'll be $55(net).
Even less on Aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568053 ... pt=glo2usa

Advertisement
HBchris

#88: Post by HBchris »

anyone try the Pesado He[%] - High Extraction Basket ?

https://pesado.com.au/products/pesado-h ... ion-basket

Jeff
Team HB

#89: Post by Jeff »

They're just starting to arrive.

The PCL 1.0 mm 2200 hole has a significant taper and many are reporting them as out of round. A 58.3 mm tamper may fit, or you may need to drag out a classic 58.

PPapa

#90: Post by PPapa »

HBchris wrote:anyone try the Pesado He[%] - High Extraction Basket ?

https://pesado.com.au/products/pesado-h ... ion-basket
Mine is due to ship by end of the month (UK). Will be keen to try and compare against E&B Superfine, VST and Pullman 876 (favourite).

Still a pricey one and a bit of a gamble, but we are at an early adopter stage right now and I hope the comparisons will come out while the prices drop.