Who's got your favorite decaf for brewing as espresso? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
rockethead26

#11: Post by rockethead26 »

My wife loves her 2/3 Olympia Decaf Asterisk + 1/3 Dune Zipzinger that I blend for her each morning. In the afternoon, she drinks the Decaf unblended. She loves it both ways.

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob »

Someone already mentioned them, but my daughter and I love Counter Culture Slow Motion. It nice and chocolatey!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Advertisement
coyote-1

#13: Post by coyote-1 »

Moxiechef wrote:Looking to deepen my library of great(relatively speaking) decaf coffees that work well as espresso.
I'm currently brewing Nossa's Brazil Decaf, 19g to 35g @ 201F in 28 seconds. It's probably a medium roast, not too roasty though.
Let me know if you know of any great ones to try.
Thanks,
JB
For me, it's none. I was doing a half-decaf blend at one point, and. I do mostly decaf for my morning pot of coffee. But I've found I can't enjoy it nearly as much for espresso, so I don't do it anymore. The process of removing caffeine removes too much of the stuff that makes for great espresso, so I'm no longer willing to make that compromise.

silver02accord

#14: Post by silver02accord »

I agree with that mostly, but I don't want 4 caffeinated shots a day. It just leads to me having 5 then 6 etc. So that's what attracted me to the decaf.

fxroberge
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by fxroberge »

bluayeddvl wrote:shared it previously and we're still truly enjoying it, Nektar - Le Refuge.
https://nektar.ca/en/collections/tous-l ... 6452506699
I quite like Nektar, but haven't tried their decaf. What's the roast level like on it?
In the pursuit of the perfect cup

Chert

#16: Post by Chert »

I'm enjoying home roasted Colombia Buesaco EA decaf from Sweet Maria's. I had a shot of this at a friends house this weekend and found it also very tasty: Olympia Decaf Asterisk
LMWDP #198

bluayeddvl

#17: Post by bluayeddvl »

fxroberge wrote:I quite like Nektar, but haven't tried their decaf. What's the roast level like on it?
while Nektar typically leans towards the medium, this one has gone over to the dark side.
and for grind, i find myself around 13+ (not more than 13.5) on my Niche for most of their other (medium) beans, but this one needs to be a full integer tighter and pulls lovely at a 12+ and with a filter paper on top (mostly for easy cleanup since the puck is left a little damp)
in the cup it is never burnt or acrid, but rather full-bodied and full-flavoured. it's a big coffee. molasses and dark chocolate with a little nuttiness. and for those that enjoy them, a tremendous base for milk drinks.
21g dose resulting in 40-42g in the cup in 28-30 sec. 92C or 93C are both quite good.. well, in our house anyway. i have yet to play around with other temps and flow rates.

Advertisement
fxroberge
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by fxroberge »

I'll grab a bag as my next decaf purchase.

Thanks!
In the pursuit of the perfect cup