Grinders: vertical vs. horizontal burr design - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

RTM wrote:My personal opinion is that horizontal motor shaft design of grinder is superior to vertical, soley for motor cleanliness.
That's confusing since we're talking about burr orientation not shaft orientation, so I think you're saying that you prefer vertically oriented burrs.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Primacog

#12: Post by Primacog »

Why would vertical burrs necessarily wear out faster on one side? Yes, the beans fall only onto the face of one side of the burrs but isn't the entire diameter of the burrs rotating onto that side so that the entire burr set is engaged with the grinding all the time? The faster the rotation speed, the more this effect seems to me to be in operation...
LMWDP #729

Ursego (original poster)

#13: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

yakster wrote:That's confusing since we're talking about burr orientation not shaft orientation, so I think you're saying that you prefer vertically oriented burrs.
I noticed that too, so we should keep in mind: vertical burrs = horizontal motor/shaft.

Ursego (original poster)

#14: Post by Ursego (original poster) »

Some people (including video-bloggers) say Sculptor is similar to a sewing machine. ARAMSE was in shock because of that! Believe me, it's not the worst. My current white Niche Zero is similar to a toilet. :(

RTM

#15: Post by RTM »

Ursego wrote:I noticed that too, so we should keep in mind: vertical burrs = horizontal motor/shaft.
My bad- for some reason I was mixing up the rotational axis to the burr plane
With that I agree we should call it by the Burr plane

Horizontal shaft = vertical burrs :lol:

Jonk

#16: Post by Jonk »

Primacog wrote:Why would vertical burrs necessarily wear out faster on one side? Yes, the beans fall only onto the face of one side of the burrs but isn't the entire diameter of the burrs rotating onto that side so that the entire burr set is engaged with the grinding all the time? The faster the rotation speed, the more this effect seems to me to be in operation...
I've got a Mahlkönig Guatemala, spinning at a whopping ~2850 RPM. The grinder was used in a shop before I bought it, the kind unaware about maintenance 8).. The burr chamber was actually pretty much clean, but the bottom half of the static burr noticeably more worn. It had ground a lot of beans, at first I mistook the thick layer of caked on fines on the gasket for the actual gasket :lol:

As for the topic, there are upsides and downsides with both orientations. I often wonder about how much pre-breaking the augers actually do, possibly not as much on some models as people seem to think. For home use I think the overall implementation is more important than burr orientation.