Portable espresso machine opinion

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Juniorcoffeelover22

#1: Post by Juniorcoffeelover22 »

Hi all

I want a portable espresso machine and thinking of the Cafflano Kompresso or the Picopresso. Is there anyone who experienced both of them and can share which one be the most easy to operate and clean, and make good cup of espresso? I know a lot of people complain about the Cafflano, but it looks good.

Thanks!

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Shakespeare »

There is the Rocket Espresso Porta Via Portable Espresso Machine. It was an expensive espresso machine.
Just wanted you to see a real 'dream portable machine'.
There are many different options to choose from... It is important to decide how authentic does your espresso drink need to be.
Some portable devices provide something close to a coffee/espresso drinks and other portables try to bring you a real espresso drink.
Price is an important factor in most portable choices. Especially if you desire an authentic style espresso drink.

espressoren

#3: Post by espressoren »

Also consider whether or not you want to forage for things like hot water and grinder, or if you need to bring those along. I looked at options like a picopresso or lever machine, but once I added a kettle to the list of travel items (and possibly portable milk frother) I decided a Breville Bambino in a small travel case was the way to go for the right price, size, and performance.

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Shakespeare replying to espressoren »

Great....you viewed the possibilities and your goals and values. ...considered all with your creative and critical thinking..
And made a terrific choice...the Breville Bambino will make excellent espresso shot after shot without complications.

Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster)

#5: Post by Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster) »

Shakespeare wrote:There is the Rocket Espresso Porta Via Portable Espresso Machine. It was an expensive espresso machine.
Just wanted you to see a real 'dream portable machine'.
There are many different options to choose from... It is important to decide how authentic does your espresso drink need to be.
Some portable devices provide something close to a coffee/espresso drinks and other portables try to bring you a real espresso drink.
Price is an important factor in most portable choices. Especially if you desire an authentic style espresso drink.
Looks interesting, thanks for sharing. But actually I need a much smaller espresso maker, as the picopresso\cafflano kompresso, for it should get in my backpack. I already have a 1Zpresso JX-PRO manual grinder.
The thing is I saw some bad reviews for the cafflano kompresso that the screen got broken after a month or so. And although the picopresso has a lot of good reviews, I see that it needs preheating for a good result and I just want to shoot an espresso to the cup.

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

These work pretty well and the smaller ones compress to almost nothing, so easy to pack.

https://flairespresso.com/products/espresso-makers/

Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster)

#7: Post by Juniorcoffeelover22 (original poster) »

Thanks, but it seems too much to take it with me to the university.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Have you considered an Aeropress? Those were originally made for backpacking. What they produce may not be espresso, but it is widely regarded as a brew method capable of deliciousness.

As far as I can see, the Cafflano is a clone of the Aeropress, but the original is significantly less expensive.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

caddycatcoffee

#9: Post by caddycatcoffee »

I have been able to get very good results with the Picopresso and have kept most of the items I travel with very small. There are a few things I did alter - I swapped out there basket for a better one, got a puck screen, as well as paper filters for the bottom. I still use there tamper its the one thing I probably should upgrade, I also have a small WDT tool and magnetic funnel. I use a 1zpresso K-Max because I also travel with a small pour kit and it does well for both and the whole kit is relatively small and really only doubles if I bring a kettle or not. It does pull some really nice shots with medium and darks - the lights are okay but clearly not the best representations of what you could get. I suggest using around 16 grams looking for a 1:2.5 and make sure you are using boiling hot water
I have rather large hands - James Hoffmann

jgood

#10: Post by jgood »

I take either a Cafelat Robot for travel -- or when that's too much, a small ("3 cup") Moka pot. Either of them are a lot of bang for the size....