Do Kafatek, Weber, Versalab or Option-O Service Second Hand Grinders? - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Plinyyounger

#31: Post by Plinyyounger »

flyingtoaster wrote:I read it's about on-par with a Kafatek MC1. There is so little information about the Versalab.
This is super interesting about an MC1 comparison, most people on this forum do lots of research, testing etc. Can you tell us where you learned this information?
Family, coffee and fun.

flyingtoaster

#32: Post by flyingtoaster replying to Plinyyounger »

Post #10. I'd be interested in a comparison with more recent grinders.

Versalab M4 user experience

LewBK (original poster)

#33: Post by LewBK (original poster) »

To me, the word of relevance here is "boutique." In the physical world that word had some meaning pre-Interwebs. If you walk into a boutique, you expect to pay more, find high-end things not found in chains, but you also expect service. I often read the comments here though and actually those by the manufacturers of these boutique grinders themselves and they are generally fixated on the features of the product, but not the service of the product once it's out in the world. But the entire consumer experience includes service.

To be honest, and I'll probably get some heat for this as I know I'm generalizing, many of the comments here and definitely in manufacturer's communications to buyers, sound like they're written by engineers and, primarily, men. Everyone is fixated on the specs of the grinder- how fast does the grinder go, flat or conical, retention and of course "burr size." I find the focus on burr size particularly amusing. But, and this is the point, much like absentee fathers, there is only concern about making the grinder with the coolest specs, and far less concern about the makers' creations, their babies so to speak, once they're out in the world. After a year of remote parental care via the warranty, you're on your own, kids.

That detachment is not the boutique experience. It is not the surprise and delight you expect from the best businesses and the best products. And this is not to slam any particular maker, as I believe posters who say these grinders are great. But if they're great, the manufacturers should stand behind them with real warranties they fulfill for longer than one year. And they should agree to repair the grinder for a price after it's out of warranty. So, it's not an accusation but a plea-extend the warranties. Provide the true high-end boutique experience. Be an engaged loving parent to your beautiful offspring.

And if you say, this is not possible, just take my expensive product and care for it yourself because I can't as I'm just a small manufacturer, I can point to an example of one maker that is a boutique and extending service. The fancy Ratio Eight brewer has a five- year warranty. It has numerous parts that can break, is bespoke like these grinders and yet they stand behind it for five years. If Ratio can do It, these grinder companies can, too.

I would add, it's a mistake to think providing excellent long-term or even life-time service after a sale is a burden or unprofitable. The best boutique owners know they're not just selling products. They're selling relationships with their customers. Those long- term connections can lead to intense customer loyalty, referrals and follow-up business for additional products. Also, extended warranties and service contracts can be monetized as Best Buy and Apple well know.