Where to get cheap coffee beans to season burrs? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Paris92
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Paris92 »

+1 on going to a local roaster and asking for older beans. Has worked for me several times.

Shantastic
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Shantastic »

If you cant get beans from a roaster, I go to costco and get a couple 5lb bags and regrind them on settings getting gradually coarser. It has worked well for me and it's like passing a load more then you purchased. I also align first, and then throughly clean everything out after so I'm good to go

GFride
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by GFride »

If you're in suburban Minneapolis,,,I've had trouble finding anyone with bad roasts or waste beans they want to give away or sell very cheaply. I found a roaster near Brooklyn Park who sold me 2 pounds for $10, but also said they don't have waste beans becasue they don't make many mistakes. :wink: Funny part was they smelled good so I started using the beans and they were nice! Like others have said, Costco or Aldi or some other discount store is probably the easiest route.
LMWDP #759

Showtime84

#14: Post by Showtime84 »

Never heard of this. What's happening when you "season" burrs? I can only imagine sharp new burrs getting more and more dull over time but not sure why the would need to season them. :?:

Jeff
Team HB

#15: Post by Jeff »

The grind distribution measurably changes as the burrs season. Whether you find important differences in the cup will depend a lot on the burr set, coffee, preparation techniques, and taste.

See, for example, https://coffeeadastra.com/2019/05/27/se ... quality-2/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

Also, the burrs will perform more consistently once seasoned / broken in, if you skip the seasoning you'll probably end up making a lot of grind adjustments until then.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by StoicDude »

Costco has Peets Major Dickeson Blend for 11.99 for 2 pound in my area. I think thats a decent price.

Jeff
Team HB

#18: Post by Jeff »

Cameron's on Amazon US is 2# for $10. No idea of roast level. I've picked up 20# at a time from Chromatic at their greens cost, under $5 a pound, as I recall.

cafeIKE

#19: Post by cafeIKE »

Don't over do it when seasoning* with a home grinder. The motors, gears and cooling may not take kindly to long continuous runs.

* something I've never done with ½ dozen+ grinders [some pro] over the last ¼c. :roll:

Paris92
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Paris92 »

cafeIKE wrote:Don't over do it when seasoning* with a home grinder. The motors, gears and cooling may take kindly to long continuous runs.
I agree. I typically only grind for about ten seconds, max. Wait. Repeat.