Turin DF64V Grinder - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
unfiltered

#31: Post by unfiltered »

Jonk wrote:At first I thought it looked a little weird. I think people who want to buy something premium will still prefer a P64, there's room for more grinders in the market. I'd expect this to compete more with DF64 and the likes.

He said that at low rpm the grinder should be started before pouring the beans in.... Anyone have an idea why this is?

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by mborkow »

unfiltered wrote: He said that at low rpm the grinder should be started before pouring the beans in.... Anyone have an idea why this is?
it requires a lot more torque to spin a loaded burr

tompoland

#33: Post by tompoland »

Puleaze, if there weren't any knock offs we'd have one make of cars.
A little obsessed.

unfiltered

#34: Post by unfiltered »

Would have thought the motor choice would have covered this. I eagerly await the first tear down report on these!

tompoland

#35: Post by tompoland »

Does anyone know what is going on with the upside down mini flowerpot that the dosing cup is sitting on. The color doesn't match the grinder color (black, silver or grey) and it looks like its an afterthought.

My guess is that the final version will have the arms that hold the dosing cup (or portafilter) in place like all of the other models.

Anyone know?
A little obsessed.

heytchap

#36: Post by heytchap »

That is the final version.

Sproyo

#37: Post by Sproyo »

I find it strange that there is so much hype for the timemore 078/s but very little for the df64v. I've seen YouTubers talk about "endgame level results" for the Timemore, but haven't even heard any of the big YouTubers even mention the df64v.

Is it just because bigger burrs = better grinds? Presumably a big selling point of these grinders is the variable speed rpm and the df64v has a wider range. Low retention, fancy burrs, premium look, I just don't see what is lacking when compared to the timemore products. A clippy clappy fines collector? I like the magnetic chute, cleaning would be super easy and it'd be easy for someone to make different chutes, maybe even one with its own clippy clappy.

Jonk

#38: Post by Jonk »

Perhaps better to compare it to the same size, Timemore 064S. If I were in the US I'd perhaps be more tempted with a DF64V, but over here a DF64V is ~2.6x more expensive compared to the current Kickstarter listing. Could've been worth it if there's zero issues with stalling so it can run at 600 RPM instead of potentially being forced to use 1200 on the Timemore for espresso. For coarse grinding I'd expect the difference to be smaller. I just don't know so I cheaped out and backed the Timemore 064 and instead spent the remainder on a 078S as well.

loscorrales

#39: Post by loscorrales »

Sproyo wrote:I find it strange that there is so much hype for the timemore 078/s but very little for the df64v. I've seen YouTubers talk about "endgame level results" for the Timemore, but haven't even heard any of the big YouTubers even mention the df64v.

Is it just because bigger burrs = better grinds? Presumably a big selling point of these grinders is the variable speed rpm and the df64v has a wider range. Low retention, fancy burrs, premium look, I just don't see what is lacking when compared to the timemore products. A clippy clappy fines collector? I like the magnetic chute, cleaning would be super easy and it'd be easy for someone to make different chutes, maybe even one with its own clippy clappy.
We people dont like bellows

LObin

#40: Post by LObin replying to loscorrales »

I'd be extremely surprised if bellows or no bellows is the deciding factor for the vast majority. Especially given that the DF64V retention seems very low, even without using the blower.

The 064S and DF64V are different in specs and look despite their obvious similitude.

For now, I'd say the Timemore Sculptor extremely low launching prices and great marketing is what explains the difference in popularity at this stage.
We'll see how things evolve once they both land on early buyers and backers coffee bars as well as YouTubers studios...
LMWDP #592