Flow Control vs Spring Lever - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
espressotime

#41: Post by espressotime »

The Bone Ranger wrote:When upgrading from my Gaggia classic, I was thinking along similar lines as the OP. Lelit Bianca w/flow control, or stretch to a Londinium R24.

Ultimately, I went R24, largely because it would be simpler for my wife to make great coffee when I'm not around. Once it's dialled in, it's pull lever, wait for drips, release lever, take cup out of the way when you're ready.

The spinning of the E61 flow control device just didn't fill me with the same joy, and I felt like it would be trickier to repeat the process each time, let alone teach it to someone else.
The " pull lever, wait for drips, release lever, take cup out of the way when you're ready" experience you can have with any spring lever out there.

espressotime

#42: Post by espressotime »

russel wrote:To me the Vectis reads as an upgraded Export, which frankly would be amazing! I've owned 2 Exports and they are very capable machines but very modest in their construction and the tiny group is not really my favorite thing.

Direct fill is exactly the design simplicity that gives it and other direct fill machines their fundamental longevity. Valves and pumps and sensors are more things to breaks or leak, increasing a design's potential service needs
Spot on with that.I had 4 Exports in my lifetime.They are great .

jamesz

#43: Post by jamesz »

wrote: -adding water to direct-fill boiler requires waiting for cool down (the Compressa is be plumbed in, and the R24 has a water tank).

But, the Vectis looks like a great little machine, easy to maintain, not much to go wrong.
You could open the steam valve to release pressure to zero, then fill the boiler. No need to wait the machine cool down. Also you can warm the water using steam pressure like frothing milk, further reducing the time needed to re-fill the boiler and heating.

corffee_beanz (original poster)

#44: Post by corffee_beanz (original poster) »

retireddude wrote:The Vectis looks like a solid, Cremina-like, machine. I'm thinking of getting one for a summer cottage..

But, the Vectis looks like a great little machine, easy to maintain, not much to go wrong.

I see! In that case I'd still be in the go big or go home/but once cry once crowd. After a lot of thought I think I may pay the premium over the Bianca for the LR24. It mainly comes down to a few things:

- The LR24 has less parts and pieces inside, and spring levers in general seem to have less things to break and easier maintenance than an e61

- The reputation precedes itself. The londinium profile on a decent is more than popular, and almost every FC video has a section dedicated to "londinium style" recipes

- If I get the bianca, I'll always wonder. With the LR24, I'll know I'm getting as close to the best cup as I ever could. Plus the workflow of a spring lever and benefit of clean dry pucks is just the cherry on top.

- Finally, I really enjoy regular 1:2-1:3 style shots and don't see myself chasing bright style/modern espresso recipes. Give me thick syrupy cups any day of the week!

This thread has been extremely insightful. Thank you all for the helpful pointers and friendly discussion!

corffee_beanz (original poster)

#45: Post by corffee_beanz (original poster) »

PS. I still think the matte black v3 is one of the best looking E61's out there. Can't go without giving that credit to the Bianca :D