I want to open a proper café in North Texas - Page 3

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
mrjag

#21: Post by mrjag »

Have you exhaustively explored the local cafes? If you posted 10 years ago I would have agreed that the landscape was for coffee was sparse. Fast forward to now and there are so many options in DFW that I feel like I can grab a decent cup without traveling too far. We even have a couple that are pretty darn good.

Don't let me talk you out of your dream though. There is always room for another shop, especially if you put out a good product.

TomC
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC replying to mrjag »

This is a 5 month old thread and OP hasn't returned in several months. I don't know if they're still following this discussion.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
LondonBunny
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by LondonBunny replying to TomC »

Hopefully they are too busy serving customers in their new cafe...

Mbb

#24: Post by Mbb »

I really have nothing constructive to offer. I like coffee shops. I less enthusiastic about "counterculture" people that frequent them. Regular people just don't hang out at coffee shops, the only time they have is a Saturday morning. A lot of these people are marginally employed or students, in my experience.

Of course that jives with many of these places are located near universities. Or trendy artsy districts. That's where there's enough of a concentration of clientele to keep them in business.

Coffee shops tend to come and go. I don't see many owners getting rich. Not too many fancy cars parked in back. I think it sounds like fun when it's something you enjoy but I think it's tough to survive, much less make a good living at. Perhaps trendy places can charge exorbitant prices. I personally don't buy that many $5 cups of coffee.

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by bznelson91 »

Came across this thread while trying to find a cafe in the DFW area where I can get a proper light roast espresso and associated milk drinks. I, too, would love to hear whether the OP was able to get his project off the ground.

And since I brought it up (but if this is better as a separate thread, I I'll ask the mods to split it out): Anyone know where I can get a really well done light roast espresso? I've never had one, but I'm confident I'd like it, given my love of light roast filter coffee.

Brad

Marshall

#26: Post by Marshall »

Klatch Coffee has had great success opening shops in the overlooked suburbs of Los Angeles, where all the trendiest shops fear to tread. So, it can be done, if you have the capital to market wisely and survive the months it can take to get established.

That being said, new (and old) shops face strong headwinds from market trends that favor convenience over quality, with RTD being the strongest.
Marshall
Los Angeles