Alternative milks and questionable ingredients - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
clokwork (original poster)

#21: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

I like Elmhurst for their simplicity. My small issue is the additive the use for barista versions which is dipotassium phosphate. Seems to be what helps froth.
★ Helpful

rmongiovi

#22: Post by rmongiovi »

clokwork wrote:It's interesting you say that. I was just watching a video of someone experimenting with lactase. It can produce quite a bit of lactose in the process, but it's surely an option.
Lactase is the enzyme that breaks down lactose into galactose and glucose - simple sugars. I'm not sure what you mean by "produce quite a bit of lactose" but that's not what it does. Rather the opposite. If you're really lactose intolerant then using lactase should avoid the problem. It should also make the milk a bit sweeter because of those simpler sugars. But a change in flavor shouldn't be a huge deal since you're already considering alternative "milks."

You can buy lactase to add to the milk of your choice or purchase lactose free milk that has already had the enzyme added.

buddalouie

#23: Post by buddalouie »

drgary wrote:We have not been able to make oat milk or nut milk that creates latte art using a Vitamix and even trying to add oil. We also have and tried using a straining bag. The non-dairy milks we made have all tasted good. The additives I must avoid are emulsifiers like guar gum. I don't digest that well. But that may be what's needed.
Some recipes I've looked at for Barista Oatly add coconut flakes and cashews instead of oil to help it froth better, have you tried those recipes? I haven't tried these recipes yet but they were what I was going to try once my bellman steamer comes in

drgary
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary »

I avoid coconut because it's saturated fat that my doctors advise against. Also, coconut would change the taste. I haven't tried cashews and have been drinking Oatly Barista myself. My wife has given up for now on my making decaf lattes for her.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!