Pressure relief valve for Salvatore - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
HBfencing (original poster)

#11: Post by HBfencing (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:Here's one, but it is a common part kit, and often just easier/about the same cost to get a new one: https://clivecoffee.com/products/vacuum-breaker-rebuild

New ones: https://www.espressocare.com/search?key ... ve&x=3&y=6
Thank you !

Thanks again to everyone for helping out - the best forum out there

DefaultIT

#12: Post by DefaultIT »

I just pulled one (size listed earlier) from the little divider boxes you can usually get locally (hardware store, HFT) stuffed with a whole range of sizes - they're worth having around for all manner of replacement-saving gasket refreshes like this. I used a viton this time around, in the interest of it lasting longer in the heat (I have replaced nearly all the rubber in my machine with that or silicone now)

HBfencing (original poster)

#13: Post by HBfencing (original poster) replying to DefaultIT »

Thanks

I just did the same thing - went down to my local hardware store and got a new o-ring - $.70 - got a few of them for backup.

Is it worth getting a new assembly ? Salvatore got back to me and I'm not complaining about prices - they are competitive it's $45 for a new valve assembly. I just ordered the kit from Clive without the nut (for me it is 17mm-on the scl)for $15 as a backup.

bbeaton

#14: Post by bbeaton »

I'm sure it's common knowledge to other people on the forum, but what's the difference between an anti-vac valve and a pressure relief valve? I've done a quick search but can't find a clear answer. I have an early 90s Salvatore with just a pressure relief valve, is that why I have to bleed the boiler as the machine is warming up?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, just trying to learn more about heat exchanger machines.

mikel

#15: Post by mikel »

Anti-vac allows outside air pressure to move into boiler, pressure relief allows excessive inside boiler pressure out.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

bbeaton wrote:I'm sure it's common knowledge to other people on the forum, but what's the difference between an anti-vac valve and a pressure relief valve? I've done a quick search but can't find a clear answer. I have an early 90s Salvatore with just a pressure relief valve, is that why I have to bleed the boiler as the machine is warming up?
Yes. However, it doesn't matter if the machine is HX or whatever, the need for a pressure relief valve is dictated by the size of the boiler.

The usual procedure in a machine like yours is to start the machine with the steam valve open, and to close the steam valve when a bit of steam starts to come out of the steam wand. You can do the reverse at the end of a session - open the steam valve a bit to bleed off steam, but this isn't necessary. However, you may find that your boiler pressure gauge will eventually read 0.2 bar to 0.3 bar when it is actually zero bar if you don't do the reverse part. This is just cosmetic, just remember to add 0.2, 0.3 bar to get the actual boiler pressure reading.

The pressure relief valve is for safety - it only opens when the boiler pressure is too high. You'll usually see a value like 2.2 bar or 2.5 bar, etc., on the valve, and the valve will have been fixed/peened so that the pressure can no longer be adjusted.

The anti-vacuum valve is open when the machine is cold. As the boiler heats up, steam from the boiling water will force the valve to close, leading to normal operation. When the machine is turned off, the valve eventually opens again. Thus, you no longer have to bleed pressure manually if the boiler has an anti-vacuum valve.

Note anti-vacuum valves are usually fairly easy to retro-fit as long as there is room in the case for the additional fittings, typically a T and an elbow (because most styles of anti-vac valves have to stand upright and be at the top of the boiler). Plenty of older machines do not have anti-vac valves. I run my machines on smart plugs so I've put anti-vacuum valves on most of them.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

truemagellen

#17: Post by truemagellen »

Definitely add an anti vac if you don't have one easy to burn out heating element forgetting steam valve was open for bleed off