Great Decaf Coffee In Ontario, BC or Anywhere In Canada? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
JHCCoffee (original poster)

#11: Post by JHCCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the recommendations

I tend to like caramel, butterscotch and milk chocolate notes in my coffee. Or full traditional espresso flavor notes. I tend not to like "3rd wave" coffees with fruit or nut notes. I like medium to medium dark (City to City+) roasts.

I find that many roasters under roast their decaf. They label the roast as "medium" but they may be misled by the color; decaf roasts to a darker color than its actual roast level and taste. Or maybe they cup it and intentionally roast light enough to keep those fruit notes that I generally don't like. It takes so much dialing in effort just to turn the taste from sour fruit to fruit and it still doesn't taste like real coffee.

I pour espresso and V60 at ratios/with brew profiles that produce lots of strength, body but also well separated flavor notes. I use a Niche Zero grinder.

With the above in mind, will I like the decaf coffees suggested to date in this thread? If not, any other suggestions?

Coffeechiro

#12: Post by Coffeechiro »

Saka from cantina coffee or Jardin from George Howell coffee will fit your taste.

#13: Post by JHCCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks CoffeeChiro. Appreciated!

However I'm located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and am looking for coffee roasters (that fresh roast) in the GTA, or Eastern Canada or Canada that have decaf coffee and roast it to my true medium (City) or medium dark (City+ to Vienna) taste profile. As distinct from they say its medium but its actually medium light. Decaf roasts to a darker colour it tastes. Many lean towards trendy third wave tastes. I'm more traditional in my coffee taste; I don't like fruit or "notes of truffle with mango chutney" :roll: in my coffee.

#14: Post by JHCCoffee (original poster) »

Thanks for the decaf coffee suggestion.

I tend to prefer medium-dark (ie Full City to Full City+) decaf roasts. Many roasters market their decafs as being darker than the actually are, as decaf beans roast to a darker exterior colour than they taste. So a roast that is marketed as medium is is often actually medium light in taste.

Can you provide me with abit more information on how these coffees actually taste?

Appreciatively

JHCCoffee

#15: Post by JHCCoffee (original poster) »

bluayeddvl wrote:i'll throw my hat in the ring on this one and raise my hand high in the air for Le Refuge from Nektar.
we started by getting a 340g bag to test it out and subsequently have ordered a 2lb bag since we all seem to really enjoy it any time, esp those when we don't want the caffeine.
great as a double-shot on its own (my pref), and can confirm as exceptional in a milk drink (Mrs pref).
21g in/42g out @ 92C

https://nektar.ca/en/collections/tous-l ... 6452506699

I tend to prefer medium-dark (ie Full City to Full City+) decaf roasts. Many roasters market their decafs as being darker than the actually are, as decaf beans roast to a darker exterior colour than they taste. So a roast that is marketed as medium is is often actually medium light in taste.

Can you provide me with abit more information on how these coffees actually taste?

Appreciatively

JHCCoffee

#16: Post by JHCCoffee (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:We've been drinking this linked to decaf for year & STILL enjoying it!

http://cafeplantation.com/pays-dorigin ... _container

Appreciatively

JHCCoffee

gritts

#17: Post by gritts »

Colorfull is in Toronto, Very impressed with their selection right now. However, it is light

Richmyster

#18: Post by Richmyster »

Quietly coffee in Ontario has a great decaf.