Niche Zero vs Lagom P100 after 4 months side-by-side - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Christobol (original poster)

#11: Post by Christobol (original poster) »

zefkir wrote:If you mean that a small tick is easily tastable, then we agree.
We are on the same page now, for example I write down to grind to 1.15 on the marks (or 11 1/2 ticks)
zefkir wrote:Having said that, I rarely feel the need to go in between small ticks, a a small ratio adjustment or even a slight lengthening or shortening of the contact time by changing the way I manipulate the lever of my Flair 58 feels more intuitive to me. And at least in the range where I pull shots, one tick doesn't make or break a shot, it's just a variation between okay and good, or good and very good.
I totally get what you're saying and agree that you can make a huge change that way (to be clear, I've never used a manual lever). I think with the DE I'm getting pretty consistent shots and can compare the output graphs to see how much shot to shot variation I'm getting.
An example would be below where I only made a 1.5 tick adjustment (grinder setting of 1.05 on the second shot I believe):
https://visualizer.coffee/shots/22cbd02 ... ad2385c222

It's been awhile since I've left the grind settings alone and did shot after shot and can't recall what date to look at to post what should be pretty similar shots.
another_jim wrote:It sounds like a measurement and read out of the gap between burrs [...] should be a thing for all these large diameter flat burr grinders.
Gosh, I'd be so conflicted if Option-O came out with a P101 with the inclusion of sensors to tell you the gap readout, especially if it would then upload that to the DE so it could be saved in a single place for each shot. It would be a tempting upgrade, and push me further down the rabbit hole.

zefkir

#12: Post by zefkir »

Christobol wrote:We are on the same page now, for example I write down to grind to 1.15 on the marks (or 11 1/2 ticks)

I totally get what you're saying and agree that you can make a huge change that way (to be clear, I've never used a manual lever). I think with the DE I'm getting pretty consistent shots and can compare the output graphs to see how much shot to shot variation I'm getting.
An example would be below where I only made a 1.5 tick adjustment (grinder setting of 1.05 on the second shot I believe):
https://visualizer.coffee/shots/22cbd02 ... ad2385c222

It's been awhile since I've left the grind settings alone and did shot after shot and can't recall what date to look at to post what should be pretty similar shots.

Gosh, I'd be so conflicted if Option-O came out with a P101 with the inclusion of sensors to tell you the gap readout, especially if it would then upload that to the DE so it could be saved in a single place for each shot. It would be a tempting upgrade, and push me further down the rabbit hole.
I see, I figure you're in a place where slight grind size differences are emphasized, I see 55g shots, so I figure you're pulling near 1:3?

Whereas my end of things, especially with the ratios involved, I've found extended bloom durations like you do to be not useful wrt taste. I just pull turboshots and have been very satisfied with the results.

Christobol (original poster)

#13: Post by Christobol (original poster) replying to zefkir »

I am doing 1:3 right now.

With the extended bloom you see, that's newer. I've been using a default d-flow profile on the DE, and have modified the profile to extend the bloom a bit to see what occurs with that extra time. I'm currently drinking a few coffees from Tim Wendelboe, so really really light.

goldkirby

#14: Post by goldkirby »

Hey just curious, do you know what wattage the motor in the P100 is?