Why Do Nearly All Current Levers Use 54mm Group Heads vs 58.5? - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
truemagellen

#11: Post by truemagellen »

The popularity of the 58mm is simply due to the popularity of the e61 group and the massive global supply chain that built up to support it. Decisions made in the 60s still impacting decisions today.

It's 58mm a standard or better than 54 or 55or 51 not really, the 58 can certainly make great shots too.

A few manufacturers stuck with the smaller group and stand by it Dalle Corte, la San Marco, and spaziela which are very popular in Italy particularly the south.

I have personally had the most success pulling thick syrupy with the smaller group as the deeper puck I feel is more forgiving particularly with a spring lever group (tapering profile). It could also be the 10.5 bar spring setup on the la San Marco group.. Paired with a Napoli style blend (10-20% robusta) and you get old school without burnt or bitterness. Can this be done on 58? absolutely.

So my recommendation is go with machine you really like and take accessories out of equation.

For me plumb in silent no pump dipper operation is my preference in a kitchen close to bedrooms.

Have fun deciding... You almost can't go wrong with a 1grp larger spring lever... They are all great
★ Helpful

jamesz

#12: Post by jamesz »

wrote:The 58mm group produces a flatter, wider puck. The 54mm group produces a narrower but deeper puck.
This is true only if you use the same dose.
You could have the same puck depth in 54mm basket by adding 15% more dose in 58mm basket.

Satchmo780

#13: Post by Satchmo780 »

JB90068 wrote:Based on this, then can a person assume that this is a contributing element for the richer and smoother pulls that levers typically offer?
I get the excellent syrupy espresso from my 58mm lever. I'm sure there is a difference between 54-58 but a 58mm spring lever will still make great espresso.
LMWDP #737

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing »

bgn wrote:Is the cup from the smaller group head often called a Napolitano? refering to regional preferences in taste? The Argo is a small lever that will ship (hopefully!) with a 58mm group.
The La San Marco-style group (LSM) is popular around Naples. Nurri is in Naples. Elcor (ACS) is in Naples. Thus, fans of Neapolitan-style roasts, for example, Saka, want the same style of machine - although Bosco is in Naples and they use their own version of the "Modern Lever" Group. (La San Marco itself is in Northern Italy - in between Venice and Trieste.)

FWIW, the traditional slant-sided 58mm double basket has about the same size bottom/hole distribution as a straight-sided 54mm basket. One can argue that a slant-sided basket is easier to pull a good shot with than a straight-sided basket, but then one could also argue that a straight-sided basket gives a more even extraction than a slant-sided basket (and then there is the latest trend for billet baskets ...)

Then there is the endless discussion of spring rates, single spring, double spring, etc. The LSM group traditionally has a higher peak pressure than the CMA/Astoria (now "Modern Lever") groups ... but machine makers can fit whatever spring(s) they want these days.

Another consideration is singles. Cafés in Italy pull singles. The usual slant-sided single basket will be a little easier to pull 6g-7g of coffee in a 54mm vs. 58mm (and I find is even easier to pull in a 49mm slant-sided single basket and is easiest to pull in a 41mm/58mm straight-sided La Marzocco-style basket).

I think that the main consideration is aesthetics. Many people love the look of the exposed-spring LSM group over the two different styles of the "Modern Lever" group. The LSM group is also a differentiator from the many machines using the "Modern Lever" group. The only machine that I know of that is available with either group is Salvatore's.
JB90068 wrote:... But in my present house it just looks like a box on stubby legs in comparison to everything else in the room. I want something more interesting and sculptural in appearance without having go with a 2 group. ...
As an aside, for "visual focal point," my favourite machine is not one of my levers, but the no-longer-made Elektra Micro Casa Semiautomatica Art Deco SXCD - although I would find that machine jarring in appearance next to an EG-1.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

Primacog

#15: Post by Primacog »

JB90068 wrote:Here is the current setup...
In the case of your kitchen, I don't think any machine would be able to distract attention from the view thru those windows!

The interesting thing about the LSM grouphead is that it is apparently from what I have read the most popular type of grouphead for levers in Naples, Italy and that must bave something to dl with the flavour that the napolitan coffee culture believes it cna impart. Since that is where Nurri and ACS (and Izzo where Antonio nurri worked in coffee originally) are from, it is no wonder the hybrid levers they make would use the best type of grouphead according to their viewpoint.
LMWDP #729

JB90068 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by JB90068 (original poster) »

First of all, allow me to thank each of you for your help and input. The wealth of knowledge that you have is amazing and I appreciate your willingness to reach out to me.
truemagellen wrote:So my recommendation is go with machine you really like and take accessories out of equation.
For me plumb in silent no pump dipper operation is my preference in a kitchen close to bedrooms.
Have fun deciding... You almost can't go wrong with a 1grp larger spring lever... They are all great
Jason - completely agree about the accessories. Ultimately they are unimportant and can be replaced although the new Weber Unibasket and PF will hurt a little. Fortunately there are no bedrooms to bother unless I have guests. After three days, I might grab the chainsaw and attempt to grind my beans that way. :D
baldheadracing wrote:Another consideration is singles. Cafés in Italy pull singles. The usual slant-sided single basket will be a little easier to pull 6g-7g of coffee in a 54mm vs. 58mm (and I find is even easier to pull in a 49mm slant-sided single basket and is easiest to pull in a 41mm/58mm straight-sided La Marzocco-style basket).
Craig - I can't do singles. If I don't have doubles, my blood will get too thick and I'll likely seize up. :D Also, Douglas Weber has clearly stated that the EG-1 isn't made for single shots. I'm fine with that!
baldheadracing wrote:I think that the main consideration is aesthetics. Many people love the look of the exposed-spring LSM group over the two different styles of the "Modern Lever" group. The LSM group is also a differentiator from the many machines using the "Modern Lever" group. The only machine that I know of that is available with either group is Salvatore's.
As an aside, for "visual focal point," my favourite machine is not one of my levers, but the no-longer-made Elektra Micro Casa Semiautomatica Art Deco SXCD - although I would find that machine jarring in appearance next to an EG-1.
I have to say the Elektra Micro Casa is gorgeous, but I agree, it won't work with the EG-1. It really would create a visual conflict. The newer version reminds me of the Europiccola which was my first espresso machine in '89. I loved that machine and when I bought it, it was partially due to how much I liked its looks.
Primacog wrote:In the case of your kitchen, I don't think any machine would be able to distract attention from the view thru those windows!
Baz, this is a part of the aesthetic problem. The window on the left is 1.5m high and a little over 2m wide. The rest of the room is open with large windows or sliding glass doors on three sides. The only reason I mention this is because the more I look at that corner, the more I realize its' purpose needs to be stated clearly and be well defined since there is so much visual information that it has to compete with. From strictly a design perspective, it looks a bit disparate right now and needs a visual anchor. Based on that, the choice of the machine actually plays a critical role.
Like the rest of you, I take great pleasure in anything to do with coffee and I think we can all agree that at a certain point in our daily experience, when we walk into the room and see our private coffee reserve, it adds a significant amount of pleasure beyond making it and drinking it. That's the form part, which in my case at least, shouldn't be overlooked...

Cheers.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing »

JB90068 wrote:I have to say the Elektra Micro Casa is gorgeous, but I agree, it won't work with the EG-1. It really would create a visual conflict. The newer version reminds me of the Europiccola which was my first espresso machine in '89. I loved that machine and when I bought it, it was partially due to how much I liked its looks.
I've got a gen 1.6 Europiccola - the best-looking Europiccola IMHO (and James Bond's Europiccola :mrgreen:).

Speaking of aesthetics, how about an ACS Ventus, a.k.a. Ambiente Ventus? (58mm Modern lever group) Elcor has it listed on their website so they must still be making them. http://www.elcor.it/ventus-en/ The machine is stunning in person, but I think doesn't show nearly as well in pictures as the size isn't obvious.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

JB90068 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#18: Post by JB90068 (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

I've looked at this before. It looks really cool, I'm just not sure it will work in my space.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

espressotime

#19: Post by espressotime »

daveyb wrote:You ask an interesting question, and the answer is opinion of course. The 58mm group produces a flatter, wider puck. The 54mm group produces a narrower but deeper puck. This seems to have a marked effect on taste. So the answer to your question, is that companies that use the 54mm system think it is better than the 58mm. Think about Betamax versus VHS. They both did the same thing fundamentally.
If you are thinking about a lever, then try to visit the two set ups and see if you can taste the difference. If you cannot, then it matters not what you buy. I always become annoyed when I read of people who make minute tweaks to a shot but can then taste the difference! I think I was at the back of the line when god gave out tastebuds!
I was probably standing behind you in that line.

Cuprajake

#20: Post by Cuprajake »

I'm getting the best espresso I've ever made from my acs Evo 54mm group

I've had quite a few machines, 58mm, vibe pump, rotary pump, hx, spring, the same grinder with all of them.