Latte art not spreading - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jaybelknap

#11: Post by jaybelknap »

Something I noticed lately during my frustration. Somehow I forgot how to pour after storing the espresso machine for months. If I don't use the handle (very awkward to hold) I feel like I get more side to side control and I can actully make the beginnings of a rossetta (ends up looking more like a yucca lol). I think i got a new pitcher from barista hustle just before storing the machine this also my be a contributing factor that the pitcher just isnt working for me but older ones had who knows.

MB

#12: Post by MB »

I had gotten fairly decent, but when I watched latte art videos, I saw that their pours just flowed more and had better contrast than mine. I realized I was using thicker "wet paint" than theirs, but had just developed a technique to make it work. I wasn't getting the spout as close as they were, but my thicker milk just blobs when I tried to get closer. To really get their flow and contrast though, I've had to go thinner and closer. It's like unlearning something I've really focused on and fine tuned.
LMWDP #472

beans+crumble

#13: Post by beans+crumble »

I agree... one needs to aerate less than one thinks they need to in order to get that nice fluidly milk texture that glides across the surface. I'm trying to learn that zone... sometimes it's too thin... sometimes too thick. It's frustrating for sure but, with time, I know I will get the hang of it. Besides.... what's in the cup still tastes good :)

MollieT (original poster)

#14: Post by MollieT (original poster) »

I was getting the hang of it and latte art was spreading further round the cup but seem to have lost the ability again and it kind of just sits where I pour :roll: this was a few weeks ago tho l! Trying to work out what I've started doing wrong again ahah

DaveB

#15: Post by DaveB »

iploya wrote:My guess is (agreeing with another poster above) that you need to start the art much earlier in the pour.

I recently started watching Emilee Bryant, too. Her explanations are great. Check out the following video, the part about integrating less:

video
This video is great. She mentions incorporating only about an ounce of milk, which is far less than what I had been doing. What a difference this makes!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

beans+crumble

#16: Post by beans+crumble »

:) looking great!! Keep at it and have fun! Don't get discouraged if you feel like you move backwards some days... I've been really working hard on my milk texture and I swear that has really helped pouring better art. You're doing a great job!

MollieT (original poster)

#17: Post by MollieT (original poster) »

Moved on to try a rosetta but just can't seem to get the wiggles to look separate. Kind of all blends into one.. any tips? Xx

LittleCoffee

#18: Post by LittleCoffee »

I'm not as good as you as still struggling on the milk texture front but someone pointed me to this video on pouring which I thought was the best technical explanation of how to pour I've come across (and I've watched a fair few)
[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5nOFirDRTo [/youtube]

MB

#19: Post by MB »

You're getting there. The mixed coffee & milk in the cup looks like it has firmed up and your milk in the jug may be too thick or have started to separate. Any of these will make it harder to get the flow going for good contrast.

So, what to do? Well, I'd recommend instead of edging towards what you want, that you first go to the other extreme of the equation. Just barely aerate your milk when steaming, like not enough, and make sure you are getting a good stirring vortex going. Then get to pouring as soon as possible, swirling and not letting the jug sit still for a moment. Incorporate less milk and then go directly to pouring without a pause. You'll likely get a misshaped design because you are not used to how fast the less-aerated milk comes out of the jug, but that's okay. You may see the separation you were looking for, so now you can dial between the two while you build muscle memory with the thinner milk. Good luck!
LMWDP #472

drgary
Team HB

#20: Post by drgary »

There's another thread where someone suggested stretching the milk until the cup feels like it's just body temperature and then immersing the tip much deeper to swirl the milk until the cup starts to feel hot in your hand. The last part creates microfoam. I found that it works for me.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!