Rob Hoos' Tipping and its Avoidance: a Style Guide for Coffee Roasters (PDF) - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#31: Post by Milligan »

mkane wrote:I made a nice thermocouple bracket to measure incoming air. Temps are way behind, 300°thereabouts using a 5mm probe. I'll switch it to a 2mm unit that's lying somewhere here.

Using the latest Artisan software makes it very difficult to select the right 'extras'
I had that problem on the USRC. Same probe size. Inlet temp is very picky about location.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by mkane »

The probe location is behind the drum. The rear is perforated. I'll try and get it closer. It shows degrees but I would like to track temps real-time throughout a roast session. I'll keep at it.

Chert

#33: Post by Chert »

That reading is a mixed-signal of heat contributed from your heat source and the temperature of the surrounding metal, but as long as the probe is not touching metal, it can surely give useful information on what temp air is entering the drum. I think as long is it is between 1/3 to 2/3 the height of the drum, then it should be useful and not too reflective of source temperature. What do you think?
LMWDP #198

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#34: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

FWIW, I noticed my IAT (green line) is affected by charging the roaster when the airflow is low. This roast was part of a series where I doubled my usual charge, and didn't change the fan damper opening for the entire roast (blue line is showing differential air pressure).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mkane
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by mkane »

Craig, I see your using v2.8. In device assignment/extra devices, what heading did you select? Virtual, phidgets,etc.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by mkane »

Chert wrote:That reading is a mixed-signal of heat contributed from your heat source and the temperature of the surrounding metal, but as long as the probe is not touching metal, it can surely give useful information on what temp air is entering the drum. I think as long is it is between 1/3 to 2/3 the height of the drum, then it should be useful and not too reflective of source temperature. What do you think?
Everything is helpful thanks

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#37: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

mkane wrote:Craig, I see your using v2.8. In device assignment/extra devices, what heading did you select? Virtual, phidgets,etc.

- Device 1/Color 1 is a Phidgets 1136 diff air pressure sensor. Right-click on the LCD zeroes the sensor value and Device 2/Color 1 displays/graphs the normalized value scaled so that full damper open is about 100 on the y-axis. (The value is negative because I put the pitot tube in between the exhaust fan and the cyclone.)
- Device 1/Color 2 reads a potentiometer connected to 3 AA batteries to give a value between 0 and 4.5 volts to the phidget VINT hub (and is also scaled to display to about 200). The potentiometer is ganged (same shaft) with another potentiometer that controls the electronic gas valve. (Two pots are used for electrical isolation.) The gas valve is also connected to Artisan via another Phidget so Artisan can control the gas directly with buttons or a slider, but the valve that I have is too large for my roaster and the electronic control is not as accurate as turning the knob manually and watching the pressure gauge. Outside of Artisan, there is also a separate circuit that turns off the gas valve if the temperature in the cyclone gets too high (chaff fire).
- Device 5 is inactive at the moment, but is for the second BT sensor. When I set the probes up, I couldn't figure out how to get two BT RoR curves displayed in Artisan, but I'll figure it out eventually.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mkane
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by mkane »

Got it! :D

Chert

#39: Post by Chert »

I got my notice for the dark roast iteration from Rob Hoos. If anyone is exploring the roast to start of 2nd crack in the runup to that session, a separate thread discussion here might be interesting. I have too much greens currently to buy the Peruvian he is roasting, but I will take a Guatemalan washed to that level and see what I think.
LMWDP #198