What current practice/espresso gear will we look back on very differently in 20 years? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Mad Scientist

#11: Post by Mad Scientist »

Baristas, what baristas. Computer make me a ________.
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day

zefkir

#12: Post by zefkir »

I can't believe that high grown arabica was widely available and affordable back then.

Fausto

#13: Post by Fausto »

How about a baby step, I'd hope the majority of coffee roasted in the world will no longer be indistinguishable from charcoal.

cskorton

#14: Post by cskorton »

This is the great thing about buying old school designs like levers and e61's. In another 20 years, they'll be considered timeless classics instead of obsolete!

That's probably why I'm a lever guy. A lever is going to age better than Decent imo.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by Milligan »

baldheadracing wrote:No more boilers, i.e., the disappearance of closed vessels with resistive heating elements.

All machines connected to the Internet ... and all need to be connected for full functionality.

Greater variety in coffee - disease- and climate-resistant varietals, hybrids, novel processing, 'new' origins, etc.

... and this will be common enough as to not be newsworthy: Proud Mary Coffee Selling Best of Panama Winner for $150 Per Cup
Instantly thought of no boilers. That seems to be the big one due to the environmental impact of heating just the water needed and not 2-3L or more of water. I'm hoping against internet connectivity required :|

leozava
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by leozava »

cskorton wrote:This is the great thing about buying old school designs like levers and e61's. In another 20 years, they'll be considered timeless classics instead of obsolete!

That's probably why I'm a lever guy. A lever is going to age better than Decent imo.
+1

Blernsball

#17: Post by Blernsball »

If things remain on course, climate change will dramatically cut down on viable coffee growing areas. That alone will make coffee too expensive for most people to drink regularly.

Coffee shops will disappear except for some high end spots.

I think companies that make midrange machines will disappear too.

Martin

#18: Post by Martin »

20 years from now people will finally agree with me that the best way to tone down overly acidic shots is to sprinkle talcum power over the pf.

:P
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

zefkir

#19: Post by zefkir replying to Martin »

Using differently buffered water for lighter roasts is already a thing, either directly in the machine or in dropper afterwards.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

JB90068 wrote:Manufactures will place as much emphasis on aesthetics of their machines as function, thus we will stop seeing machines that look like toasters.
Don't make the E-61s angry...
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.