Build quality on par with La Marzocco?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Mark_in_NYC

#1: Post by Mark_in_NYC »

All other things being equal, anyone believe there is a machine with parts and build quality to rival La Marzocco?

That's a major driver of what I want in my next (last?) machine. While we're at at, anyone have a preferred seller for La Marzocco? The price seems standard, but maybe add-ones, no tax, or other reasons to buy somewhere in particular?

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgrayson »

I've had two LM GS/3's over the past 13 years. There are a lot of not-so-well-built aspects. The frame is easy to bend. The pump can vibrate badly. The cup rack rattles. The drip tray rattles. The inner workings are high quality, but I would not hold them up as a paragon of build quality.

That said, the fact that I've been using them since they came out is obviously a sign that I like them!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

I believe that there are - when you are talking about companies. Individual models is different.

Offhand I just thought of:
Bezzera
Elektra
Lapera
La San Marco
Kees van der Westen
My Way (Izzo)
Nuova Simonelli
Rancilio
Rancilio Specialty
Slayer
Synesso
Vibiemme
... I could keep going, but that's just an opinion. I'm sure everyone has their own list.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

dkny3939

#4: Post by dkny3939 »

In addition to initial build quality, shouldn't one also consider the availibility of parts/service in the future? Everything will break down eventually, better hope you can still find those gaskets or whatever in 10 years. I think a well established manufacturer using mainly standardized parts would be ideal.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Milligan »

Support is the big one. The large names are the ones that will likely be there for you 10 years from now. Even better, companies that support updating older products to meet the standards of the new lines are better still. Folks that purchased a GS3 when it came out can essentially upgrade it with all the changes and features of the new one. I believe LM may stand alone in that regard.

I'm curious how one bends a GS3 frame? I'd think you'd have to drop it?

Paris92
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Paris92 »

I was really disappointed when I saw the fit and finish of the LM prosumer units, as compared to ECM and Profitec actually. I expected more.

Arafel

#7: Post by Arafel replying to Paris92 »

I'm the proud owner of a Linea Mini. Before that I had a Pro 600. I don't see how you can ding the fit and finish of a La Marzocco. They are top notch

Ben Z.

#8: Post by Ben Z. »

baldheadracing wrote:I believe that there are - when you are talking about companies. Individual models is different.

Offhand I just thought of:
Bezzera
Elektra
Lapera
La San Marco
Kees van der Westen
My Way (Izzo)
Nuova Simonelli
Rancilio
Rancilio Specialty
Slayer
Synesso
Vibiemme
... I could keep going, but that's just an opinion. I'm sure everyone has their own list.
I think you have to include cimbali.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mgrayson »

Milligan wrote:Support is the big one. The large names are the ones that will likely be there for you 10 years from now. Even better, companies that support updating older products to meet the standards of the new lines are better still. Folks that purchased a GS3 when it came out can essentially upgrade it with all the changes and features of the new one. I believe LM may stand alone in that regard.

I'm curious how one bends a GS3 frame? I'd think you'd have to drop it?
Putting it on its side to descale the steam boiler did it for me. And maybe calling the side panel support bar part of the "frame" is exaggerating. Nothing I couldn't fix, and I'm not complaining. If it were any heavier, I'd never be able to do anything with it!

Ypuh

#10: Post by Ypuh »

My experiences are limited to Rocket and La Marzocco. Both brands are good, but the La Marzocco is simply a class or two above Rocket in terms of size, weight and heft.

I wouldn't so much rate a more expensive model from a solid manufacturer as higher Fit&Finish or difference in build quality. Currently your question allows for multiple interpretations where a €500 machine Rancilio can be on par with La Marzocco build quality, but the model nowhere near delivers the same as its more expensive counterpart.

If you would compare it to cars (don't like this analogy but it works), Tesla's are great performing machines that are best-in-class in some areas such as the battery, but their build quality is subpar compared to established premium brands. Mercedes offers both an A-class which is technically a Renault not worthy of the Mercedes badge and a S-class, which is the far superior model of the brand but by no means cheaper, more durable or easier to maintain. Others would value how well the machines are organized under the hood or how well the ease of access to vital parts was designed, where others rate the sturdiness or type of materials used or lifespan of replacement parts. A €5.000 Decent looks, feels and sounds as a cheaper machine than a Linea Mini, but there's still a unique value worth paying for.

Long story short, you can't really compare brands as a whole and when comparing individual models. Each person has their own quality defining parameters. For me personally 'bend easily' wouldn't make the list. Once it arrives, the machine only moves once when I sell it years later.
I don't want a Decent