Can someone explain the Normcore tamper to me? - Page 5

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Moka 1 Cup

#41: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Received it today from Amazon. No original box. The two additional spings (on the right) do not look right and do not fit inside the tamper.

Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

slybarman

#42: Post by slybarman »

those appear correct. you have to take the upper portion apart to swap those out. there are two springs in the tamper as discussed in this thread.

Moka 1 Cup

#43: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

Tank you.

cmin

#44: Post by cmin »

I forgot I still have a Normcore, think V4, bought like two years ago? Pulled it out again and I notice it doesn't tamp as far which is what I remember. I can tamp a bit further normally. So for example I'm pulling a blend right now at 16g in ridged HQ14 basket and there's a shot difference of about 5+ seconds time and time again vs normal tamp. Even today, 1st shot pulled at 20 seconds, reg tamp 27 seconds for 25g out, 3rd shot with Normcore again and right on at 19 seconds again and obviously taste off and meh. I remember others saying the same before. I have to dose up a bit for the Normcore, like .5-1g to get in range. I just adjusted to 16.6g for same grind, if I dose higher than 17 making grind adjustments it starts bringing out bitterness/astringency even at 195 degrees.

If I use the Normcore, and then switch to reg tamp on same puck I can compress the puck just slightly (you can feel a tiny difference) but it shows in extraction time.

LittleCoffee (original poster)

#45: Post by LittleCoffee (original poster) »

If I use the Normcore, and then switch to reg tamp on same puck I can compress the puck just slightly (you can feel a tiny difference) but it shows in extraction time.
With which Normcore spring is that though?

cmin

#46: Post by cmin replying to LittleCoffee »

Not sure, I don't remember if it's whatever it came with or if I had to install? Been two years lol. Forgot I even had the thing. Think I still have other spring or two it came with somewhere.

Moka 1 Cup

#47: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

I received the replacement today, This one came with the original packaging and instructions.
I have to say that it works quite well, I like it.

Earthy

#48: Post by Earthy »

This may be off topic, but why isn't the Normcore palm tamper sold as self-leveling? It appears to have a lip that rests on the edge of the basket. I am looking for a short tamper that fits in a drawer.