Sey Coffee - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Quester

#11: Post by Quester »

ShotClock wrote:Is this the kind of thing that might get better with resting?
It's been a while since we had the subscription, but I remember some of these coffees peaking at three weeks.
ShotClock wrote:This was brewed with an aeropress with prismo, 98C water, 2 minute step, and monolith with the grind a bit finer than a pour over grind. I've found this to be a fairly forgiving brew method, and can do a good job extracting pretty much anything.
If you have a V60, give that a go and see how you like it versus the AeroPress.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Milligan »

Chert wrote:Here is a Vista al Bosque offered by Appollon's Gold. Note the rest period recommended. I don't know if they offer that advice for all of their coffees. I have not seen another roaster recommend weeks of rest for a roasted coffee to reach it's full potential. And that begs the question, what is "less than full potential". When I've inquired with folks who love the lightest of roasts, I haven't gotten a real clear picture, but grassy, and underdeveloped is not how they describe such coffees, still needing "to rest".

For the roaster, how do you perform quality control on a coffee if it peaks after 45-70 days?
Great questions. I'd figure they taste the coffees of roast and at different points after while finalizing their profile. So they would know what it should taste like off roast to give the "peak flavor" several weeks later. Hoon features Sey quite often. He says Sey recommends 2 weeks rest minimum with 4 being ideal.

Perhaps it is worth a try to order Sey and immediately brew one then wait the 2 weeks and see what changes.

Chert

#13: Post by Chert replying to Milligan »

I've tried it with my own underdeveloped coffees. Grass did not sprout berries, flowers or bergamot, but a commercially roasted super wush wush did lose some of the harsh anaerobic character (okayokayokay 'bin juice' {shudders}) and become more pleasant. If I find a notion of that ultralight roasting style to more successfully replicate it, then I may try to long rest again. The lightest coffee I've drunk recently which requires feeding slowly through the grinder is Cafe Demitasse Sugarcane decaf. it was pleasant out of the mailer and I have divvied into solo cups for the freezer. I wonder if cellar rest would have opened it up.
LMWDP #198

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Today i tried a couple of different brewing methods with this coffee - a Kalita style pour over in the origami, and a long steep 10 minute aeropress. Both cases were an attempt to see if my previous method was leading to under extraction, which led to the vegetal note. Basically, the unpleasant note was present in both brews, despite the long steep aeropress being definitely in to over extraction.

Today was 3 weeks from the roast date. I'll try again in another week or so, but am not sure what to expect. Chert raises a good point that if the coffee tastes under developed until 4 weeks after roast, how can they tell if a batch is under developed?

SutterMill

#15: Post by SutterMill »

ShotClock wrote:If the coffee tastes under developed until 4 weeks after roast, how can they tell if a batch is under developed?
Just a guess, but they don't.

Jeff
Team HB

#16: Post by Jeff »

That's definitely a guess. Even medium-roast coffee tastes "off" fresh out of the roaster. Or consider a wine maker -- they can be years or decades out until their product is at its prime.

You select your roaster based on their reputation to provide the quality of greens and roasts that you expect at their price point and a flavor profile that you enjoy. You drop them if they fail repeatedly. There are a few that remain.

There certainly are top-quality, light and ultra-light roasters out there. Here's one that is a long way from classic espresso. I consider it to be well developed. It nearly effortless for filter and is reasonably easy to extract as espresso, assuming you deal with it as a light roast and not as you would a medium or darker.

ohwhen

#17: Post by ohwhen »

I like Sey coffee a lot. I don't buy them very frequently, though (their price point is just outside what I'm comfortable with for regular consumption). Of the many coffees I've tried from them, I've had one or two with the characteristics you've described. I usually chalk it up to "not to my tastes" or "I didn't quite dial this in properly." I've considered that it's a bad roast but for me one or two misses for all the excellent coffee I've had form them isn't bad (or at least not bad enough for me to stop buying their beans).

Brien

#18: Post by Brien »

in my experience their coffees need a very long rest, 4+ weeks, to get rid of the vegetal/green bell pepper notes. Very weird stuff, seems to break all the rules with regards to resting and peak freshness.

TLDR, maybe let it sit for a couple weeks and try another shot?
★ Helpful

Jeff
Team HB

#19: Post by Jeff »

Even for filter, modern light roasts seem to do better with 2-6 weeks of rest. I've got one right now that suggests 30-100 days. For espresso this may be a bit longer. I believe that La Cabra waits at least 3 weeks for espresso in their shop.

This makes buying quality, light-roast coffee from most anywhere in the world viable, without paying for express shipping.

Chert

#20: Post by Chert »

Jeff, how do they do better ? Or if a light roasted coffee tastes green at day 5 are there ways to know that it will come around at day 75?
LMWDP #198