Help with issues exposed by bottomless portafilter! - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BaristaBoy E61

#21: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Grind finer!

How fresh is your coffee?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

redcoat (original poster)

#22: Post by redcoat (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Hmm, Ok. I just opened last week. Purchased locally, was roasted 12/28.

Very interested in why even finer (reminder, I'm a newbie so wanting to learn everything I can)? Is it due to how quickly the shot steam finishes?

PS Any idea why quoting previous replies isn't working?

BaristaBoy E61

#23: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to redcoat »

Grinding finer regulates the shot by slowing down the water through the puck and increasing shot time or pump time.

You'll have a nicer looking cone on the bottom of your portafilter, tastier shot with a finer grind. The 2-variables for you to control are dose in grams and fineness. Any other 'reasonable' prep will suffice till you get time & dose right. After that you can concentrate and refine your prep.

Quotes work for me.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

redcoat (original poster)

#24: Post by redcoat (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Ok, here's even finer:
This time took a whole 56 seconds for 36g and 13 seconds before first drip. Seems like I might have hit a limit?

ps tried several times with quotes - thought they were working but not after I edited

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Plinyyounger »

I had the same machine for the most part (pro 700). When I was pulling medium roast at a 1-2, the first drip would hit the cup around 6sec. That would normally give me what I was looking for. But this is a loose condition as there are many other factors.

It looks like you are grinding better now. So although you were advised not to worry about puck prep I have to respectfully disagree. It is important. So now you need to grind a little coarser, and perfect the Wdt. I can see areas in the screen that are not flowing equally, which is something we all try to improve. Practice the Wdt so there are no clumps in the basket and then tamp the same way each time. Also, there is no need to Wdt for an extended period of time, lol. Some go overboard. You are super close!
Family, coffee and fun.

Jake_G
Team HB

#26: Post by Jake_G »

redcoat wrote:ps tried several times with quotes - thought they were working but not after I edited
Your quotes are working fine.

When you quote the preceding topic in entirety, the quote is not visible, but the poster is tagged and your post says "replying to..." in the header.

Also, I've been adding the youtube tags to your video links, as it's always nice to view videos directly in the forum, rather than navigating out to YT.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

heavyduty

#27: Post by heavyduty »

You said that the shot from the last video was 56 sec., but I would've stopped the shot about 15-17 sec. sooner when it started to blonde. That would have made it a about a 40 sec. shot. Of course you wouldn't have got your 36g in the cup. Can you adjust your grinder somewhere between your last 2 video shots? BTW, I also got an IMS nanotech basket. I didn't like it. Love my EPHQ basket, always end up going back to it. Only $4.50! https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... asket-14gr

* Also you might try giving your dosed portafilter a light level knock on the edge of your counter before tamping. Mitigates the fines and has always seemed to help the extracion.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

SandraF

#28: Post by SandraF »

Do you taste these shots? If so, notice any flavor differences? Which one tasted best?

CSME9

#29: Post by CSME9 »

I would have cut the shot when it started to blow up. 1-2 notch coarser grind might do the trick. If your shot tastes good go for it, I pull good shots using my inexpensive go to EPHQ basket.

LittleCoffee

#30: Post by LittleCoffee »

Coffee roasted 12/28 is over a month old now. Anything over two week is not ideal - and with old coffee I'd expect you to have to grind so fine to get to the "extraction window" that your channeling risk is a lot higher. Buy fresher coffee!