Versalab and Retention? - Page 3

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
RyanP (original poster)

#21: Post by RyanP (original poster) »

CoffeeMac wrote: Versalab rather cheeky advice to me when I was driving myself (and them) nuts to understand/reduce this retention was to "give it a rest". Reluctantly I did, and thankfully so. I really enjoy the simplicity of my espresso workflow now, and the flavor of the coffee I make every day.
I'd be content with .1g retention. Unfortunately, RDT, as expected solved the retention issue (in fact, it was releasing so much retained grinds that the first 3-4 times I got .4-.5g more than I out in), but seems to introduce issues around an even extraction without needing to redistribute the grinds. Every shot with RDT had an uneven and erratic flow. Maybe I'll experiment with it again, but for now back to the drawing board.

Unfortunately, where I'm at right now is an average of .5g retention with each dose, sometimes getting more retention that that and sometimes getting closer to what I put in. With a lot of portafilter thwacking and funnel rotating I can often get it down to .2-.1, but not every time. Hopefully it improves because it might be a dealbreaker for me and is a shame because otherwise I'm very happy with the grinder.

zix

#22: Post by zix »

I think the burrs on Honne and Versalab (V4) are different now. Honne is kind of an improved Versalab V3 with DRM hybrid burrs while the latter (V4) has upgraded to SSP burrs.
Well that would explain a lot! I haven't double checked on mine, but I am happy with these burrs personally. Really like the combination of fluffy grinds, mouthfeel and silky texture with less of the typical conical taste. Well, it isn't a conical, so...
I find it somewhat sensitive to static, but no worse than the HG-1 was in the beginning.
As things stand now I will most likely try to sell my Wug M1modded HG-1, but we'll see. I often have problems parting from my toys, and the kids might want them further on.
LMWDP #047

Quester

#23: Post by Quester »

ricky403 wrote:I think the burrs on Honne and Versalab (V4) are different now. Honne is kind of an improved Versalab V3 with DRM hybrid burrs while the latter (V4) has upgraded to SSP burrs. I have a Honne grinder too and indeed it does a very good job. Procedure wise, no RDT is required and no beans will be left in the upper grinding area. Even in the winter when the humidity goes to single digit.
Some time ago I asked Laura at Versalab whether the burrs were different, and she said: "The SSP flat burrs are identical in design/profile to what we have always used."