New Huky 500

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BattleAx

#1: Post by BattleAx »

Hi we just received our coffee roaster it is a Huky 500. We roasted the 2 pounds of break-in beans. These taste very good. But we have good beans Ethiopia Konga, Mexico Turquesa and Colombia Sierra Nevada. My question is should we start off roasting light to medium roast to start off. We have never roasted coffee before just need a little advice. Thank You

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Congrats and welcome! I think city to full-city is a good starting point for roast level. Save the really light stuff and dark roasts that get into second crack for later.

-- Looks like you've already got Artisan running (?) but definitely read up on it: https://artisan-scope.org/docs/quick-start-guide/
-- Also, I highly recommend "Coffee Roasting Best Practices" by Scott Rao.
-- Finally, make liberal use of the search button for "Huky" in the Roasting forum as there is a lot of information on roasting, mods, etc. for it.

BattleAx (original poster)

#3: Post by BattleAx (original poster) »

Thank You

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Milligan »

Yes medium or medium/light is a good place to begin. Shooting for around 2:00 development with a 20-25% DTR and around 20F rise after first crack is a good place to be for origin flavor but without risking getting too much acidity/underdevelopment.

Have fun experimenting and post some graphs when you get a chance. Then we can help a bit more. As Brew said, grabbing Rao's Best Practices book will get you the basics very quickly. Well worth the cost of entry.

borrik

#5: Post by borrik »

Congratulations BattleAx
From what I see on the picture with cooling pan, it looks pretty uneven - there are light brown undeveloped beans, black oily beans, beans with with or without silver skin etc...
How fast the roast was? What is the batch size and loading temp?

#6: Post by BattleAx (original poster) »

This beans are end of bag beans that were sent to me with the roaster for break-in beans. The beans were 163 grams roasted for about 8 to 9 minutes. I did make coffee with them they tasted very good.

210doc

#7: Post by 210doc »

Another welcome and Congrats! I moved to a Huky 6 months ago and it's been a fun journey. Hat's off to you for having the stones to dive into the deep end to learn how to swim. :mrgreen:
I agree with the recommendation given to read Rao's book. Also study the Huky posts in this forum, read posts at https://www.hukyforum.com/, check out videos on YouTube. One helpful channel there is "virtual coffee lab" He does a nice job teaching the phases of a roast. I followed advice to buy 20# of a washed central to learn on and found a reasonably priced Guatemalan huehue that rewarded a decent roast with a decent cup. I would suggest the same to you. Buy 20#s of a washed high altitude bean that has the potential to reward your efforts. Like Brew mentioned in a prior post, I think your charge temp is on the high side. Everyone's ambient is different, but I find 360-375 to be a good start. Also, the IR stove with the Huky has a lot of power. Many would suggest the batch size you're using is too small for good control due to not enough beans immersed in the BT probe. I have stayed with a 350g charge, but I know the machine has the fire power to roast much larger batches.
Also I didn't see any fan control in your photos. I've found a router controller to work fine to tame the fan. Some owners use a Variac. Resist the urge to use the inline damper as it will collect chaff. Google Mill City for video on using a lighter flame to set your fan speeds.

borrik

#8: Post by borrik »

BattleAx wrote:This beans are end of bag beans that were sent to me with the roaster for break-in beans. The beans were 163 grams roasted for about 8 to 9 minutes. I did make coffee with them they tasted very good.
Numbers sounds reasonable so indeed it looks like these beans are mixture of some sort..

#9: Post by BattleAx (original poster) »

Thank You for all the help..

#10: Post by BattleAx (original poster) »

I just ordered a fan router controller yesterday. This should help out I have been using the wooded collar on the L pipe to try to control the fan. This should help a lot so I can control the fan speed through the roast. Change my roast to 300 gr it made a big difference. Thanks for the information.