DF83 vs Niche Zero - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Ben Z.

#11: Post by Ben Z. »

I have a major (used by me for years) with a doserless kit installed as well as a niche zero (new) . But, no machine (micra a week late and counting). Very interested in this thread. Was planning to use both for a while then add some new burrs to the major for something even different. I chuckled a bit during the review when he talks about how powerful the DF motor is...

Sanchezz

#12: Post by Sanchezz »

Has anyone else had the chance to compare DF83 and Niche? LObins perspective is really helpful, but usually I'd expect a few different perspectives from different people...

I have the same question, Niche vs. DF83, but only for espresso/cappuccini. If you want filter as well, the choice seems quite obvious (DF83), but which one is superior purely for espresso with medium to dark roasts?

malling

#13: Post by malling replying to Sanchezz »

In the cup description I don't think there is much else to be said, both burrs are well known as we are talking the classic Mazzer Kony burrs and Classic Italian 83mm flat burrs found in many classic espresso grinders, those two burrs was some of the most common 10ish years ago before the focus shifted to the more clarity and flavour separation burr types.

Any description isn't going to alter all that much with different reviews. Both are very much the traditional blending type in a conical and big flat version, with the flat having slightly more clarity and flavour separation, but both are definitely the gloopy, heavy, sweet, mellowed very chocolate like shots if you like one you probably like the other, the conic is perhaps a tad more bitter but frankly more difference between a Clarity burr like MP and these then there is between the Kony burrs and this. Truth be told I prefer the 83mm because of its added clarity and less tendency to get astringent and harsh that tend to be present on conics, but would not say I'm fan of blending burrs that this certainly is.

If you ever tried a traditional 83mm burrs this is fundamentally it, Lance actually describes it pretty well I think.. I used to own a Mazzer Major and wasn't far off from his description it's heavily about texture and thick old fashioned shot so yes dos well for darker roast, but it doe make everything generic.

The good thing is we hopefully can get other burrs this year, so I'm looking forward to what people say on a use perspective as I could see me getting it once none blending burrs are out.

Sanchezz

#14: Post by Sanchezz »

Fair point about the main factor - burrs - actually not new. Missed that point... Thanks!

Screamsi

#15: Post by Screamsi »

Hey All!

Figured I'd chime in since I've got a NZ (owned about 1.5 years) and a DF83 (for about a week). Still getting the hang of the DF83 with stock burrs, and primarily drink lattes so take that into account. I'm using a Decent Espresso machine in case you're wondering.

A few quick findings with the the DF83 after running through about 4 pounds of coffee:
  • - it grinds so much faster than the NZ, also a bit louder
    - not a pro by any means, but I'm thinking it's more clarity/acidity in the cup compared to the NZ. Even with milk, the taste shines through
    - I'm having to pull my shots at a minimum of 5-6 degrees warmer than on my NZ, otherwise I get terrible bitterness
    - puck degradation is a thing with the DF83 (John from Decent mentions this in a recent video), my pucks come out nice and clean, but fall apart as soon as they touch the knockbox (this isn't so with the NZ)
    - dialing in is not too difficult after you get used to the range of the grinder, although this may still get affected due to the burrs not being fully seasoned
    - in terms of texture, the NZ shots have more body and generally look more syrupy when being extracted. DF83 shots are very similar texture-wise, but not quite on the same level as the NZ.
It's difficult to tell whether I prefer the DF to the NZ. Even though the DF is super fast at grinding, I find the workflow to be slightly easier on the NZ. The workflow may just be due to having the Decent Espresso portafilter holder for the NZ. In terms of build quality, they both look "decent". The DF does look a bit more high end due to the matte black, but the smaller size of the NZ makes it look nice and compact next to the DF.

I've used Onyx Coffee and Klatch Coffee beans from medium light to medium dark. Haven't tried any true light or dark roasts so I can't make recommendations there. To date, a short one week, I have yet to hit a true "god shot" in terms of flavor with the DF83. I've had good coffees, but I'm still hunting. I'm hoping that in the next couple of weeks I can get there because the NZ can produce some really good coffee. It's still too early to tell which is my favorite, but I will have to decide because the wifey wants her countertop space returned...

Hopefully this helps the discussion.

jeetS

#16: Post by jeetS »

Anyone have more to say regarding this after more shots pulled?

LObin

#17: Post by LObin replying to jeetS »

DF83 shots are smoother and more balanced. Acitidy and bitterness are more muted vs the NZ.
For me, the stock 83 flats produce a better shot whether it's light or dark roasted coffee (don't go above med-dark).
Workflow is not the level of the NZ but it's better than my previous DF64. I did remove the declumper and use a 3D printed tilted cup holder and a deeper dosing cup. RDT and WDT.
Lance Hedrick's review convinced me to look for a set of 83mm HU which I'm not waiting for to arrive. I figure if I prefer the stock burrs, I'll simply put the SSP back for sale.
LMWDP #592