Bezzera Strega out of the box - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Cuprajake

#21: Post by Cuprajake »

I'm not too fussed tbh with all these new baskets

I think we're pushing the boundaries of coffee now.

I got so frustrated chasing perfection with my SPS reef I couldn't enjoy what I had accomplished.

I fear the same would come with coffee, chasing the perfect shot, the perfect extraction

It's the sole reason I've never bought a refractometer

mrgnomer

#22: Post by mrgnomer »

The espresso market is regularly expanded with expensive workflow and God shot solution innovations. Some of the stuff makes a difference, I guess, and if you have the disposable income, equipment and skills to use them go ahead. I think about what has gone in and out favour like convex and spring loaded tampers and, knowing my espresso upgraditis rabbit hole can never be filled, think twice now about throwing down big bucks on the next best God shot tool.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

Cuprajake

#23: Post by Cuprajake »

Totally agree with you

KanzaKruzer (original poster)

#24: Post by KanzaKruzer (original poster) »

Can the Bosco Sorrento 1 group handle medium and light roast as well as the Strega? Does the Bosco have an internal tank, or does it need to be plumbed in? I think I originally excluded the Bosco because the price was over $5,000, but I'm not sure what the price range is at now. The Bosco does appear to use a 58mm portafilter. What are the unique features of the Bosco?
David

#25: Post by KanzaKruzer (original poster) »

mrgnomer wrote:The espresso market is regularly expanded with expensive workflow and God shot solution innovations. Some of the stuff makes a difference, I guess, and if you have the disposable income, equipment and skills to use them go ahead. I think about what has gone in and out favour like convex and spring loaded tampers and, knowing my espresso upgraditis rabbit hole can never be filled, think twice now about throwing down big bucks on the next best God shot tool.
I like my Asso Jack Leveler which works well with my workflow.
David

bostonbuzz

#26: Post by bostonbuzz »

The only thing people are using to determine if a machine is light roast certified is whether it can do a preinfusion at a point below full pressure. This is a relatively new phenomenon and keep in mind that very few top tier cafes do this who serve the shots that make you want to spend $$$ on espresso machines. LM mini and micra and 90% (making up numbers here) of their commercial machines don't do preinfusion.

The Bosco Sorrento is a dipper, so will preinfuse at 1 bar or whatever the boiler pressure is. More interesting is the temp stability of a dipper. Adjust brew temp by adjusting boiler pressure/water temp. You will have less to fiddle with than a pump machine or Strega, which can be nice.
LMWDP #353

Cuprajake

#27: Post by Cuprajake »

Pump machines still ramp up though so have some sort of infusion. Even if only briefly before they hit full pressure

There's just so many ways to do it now, pays your money takes your chances

The group size of a machine would be the last thing that would be on my mind picking as machine.

There are more important specs to consider

#28: Post by KanzaKruzer (original poster) »

KanzaKruzer wrote:Can the Bosco Sorrento 1 group handle medium and light roast as well as the Strega? Does the Bosco have an internal tank, or does it need to be plumbed in? I think I originally excluded the Bosco because the price was over $5,000, but I'm not sure what the price range is at now. The Bosco does appear to use a 58mm portafilter. What are the unique features of the Bosco?
I now remember why I excluded the Bosco. It does not have an internal water tank and needs to be plumbed in. The cost to plumb in adds more cost. The location I'm thinking about placing my coffee bar would be easier to set up if it was a dry bar. If it were not for that, the Bosco would be my first choice.
David

pcdawson

#29: Post by pcdawson »

Cuprajake wrote:Sadly no,

There are no 58mm levers that are good with light roasts.
Holy generalizations Batman!

Cuprajake

#30: Post by Cuprajake »

its my whitty british humor - was a very tongue in cheek comment