Fellow Ode Gen 2 vs Hand Grinders

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
nameisjoey

#1: Post by nameisjoey »

I'm looking to purchase a new grinder for pour over use. I own a Lido 3 which makes a pretty solid cup but as I explore lighter roasts I would like to add another grinder in search of a bit more clarity. I've explored the following grinders:

1. C40
2. ZP6
3. Ode gen 2

I'm curious, would I notice a big difference in the cup going with any of these grinders? I assume the biggest difference would likely be the Ode, given the flat burrs. Is this correct?

Would I need to jump to the SSP MP burrs in order to really make some gains? Or would the standard burrs be enough? The price on them is attractive as is the slightly lower pitched/quieter grinding.

The two hand grinders are attractive for price and longevity reasons, though I think I may have finally reached a point where I would like to improve workflow with minimal effort and the ode really seems to knock that out of the park - even being able to forgo RDT.

Curious what others think of this comparison. What would you choose? Have you tried any of these 3 and what are your thoughts?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

nameisjoey wrote:... I assume the biggest difference would likely be the Ode, given the flat burrs. Is this correct?
Yes.

I wouldn't bother with another small conical hand grinder given that you want more clarity than you get with the Lido's Etzinger burrs. While there are 'better' (in terms of clarity) small conical burrs, there is much more variety in the Ode's 64mm Super Jolly size ... as for which burr, consider: SSP 64mm Burrs Review

As an aside, if you decide to keep your Lido3, then consider an upgrade to the Lido Basic's burr adjuster. It makes fine adjustments so much easier for me than struggling with un-sticking that lock ring.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

nameisjoey (original poster)

#3: Post by nameisjoey (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

Thank you for your input, much appreciated. A good point and I appreciate that link. It almost sways me to stick with the standard Gen 2 burr since I've gathered they're a bit more rounded and less one note.

I will definitely keep my Lido 3, planning to sell my Pharos though. I've upgraded my Lido with the new basic (fine) module and absolutely love it. So simple and intuitive. Great for espresso, pairs perfectly with my robot, and makes a great cup of brewed coffee as well.

creos

#4: Post by creos »

If anyone can tell the difference between gen 2 burrs and ssp mp, please let me know. I have had my gen 2 for a couple weeks and trying to figure out what to do.

Having trouble with alignment because the auger fits so loose on the drive shaft:

Also something not right with the adjustment screw:

Grinds do not look very uniform to me.

creos

#5: Post by creos »

For what it's worth, I like my ZP6.

nameisjoey (original poster)

#6: Post by nameisjoey (original poster) »

Any comments as to why?

creos

#7: Post by creos »

Mainly because It is the only few cups of good coffee I have had since I started becoming obsessed with coffee. Coming from a cheapo grinder, just the act of operating it is fun too. Seems like a good quality build with tight tolerances.

My original goal was to be able to enjoy a nice cup each morning but I keep changing things so I have a ways to go. Lol

lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

Pardon me if I am jacking your thread.

I got an Ode for Christmas. Mine does what Creos's is doing in the last video. Please let me know if you learn anything about it.
I chalked it up to play in the adjustment mechanism that would not affect the burrs when they were actually operating. I aligned the burrs with the marker and foil method. Made a huge difference in the grind distribution. It has remained consistently better since the alignment, leading me to further believe that the phenomenon you are making happen by pressing on the adjustment gear is a non-issue.

I like the Ode Gen 2. I cannot compare it to the other grinders you mention.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

So, I looked at my Ode. I think the shaft wobble is a non-issue. The carrier doesn't center itself on the shaft but on the bearing on the grind adjustment plate. I aligned my Ode with the SSP MP burrs and have been very happy with the grinds. Those may be videos you should send to Fellow. They are very responsive in my experience.

As for the OP, I think you'd make more progress getting into flat burrs especially the well optioned 64mm category. I between myself and my wife, I make too much coffee to be doing it by hand every day :)

CamBam_HB

#10: Post by CamBam_HB »

I did the jump from Lido ET to Ode 1.1, largely for convenience and wanting to try a fellow grinder.
I didn't see a significant change in the cup, but then I wasn't looking for it either. I think the Ode 2.0 is a good start and then you can explore whether the burr upgrades are worth it.