B&W Classic espresso blend and freezing - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
cmin

#11: Post by cmin »

Weird, seen no real difference with freezing BW Classic or Natural. Just finished bag if the Natural I had in the freezer for a couple months (about a 180g left). Grind finer but that's normal for frozen. Never seen a drastic dosing range like that. I vac seal and I dose from frozen and put the bag back in a freezer bag. I pry won't order again though. I order their blends once in awhile for some reason lol, but far prefer their single origins.

genecounts

#12: Post by genecounts »

Have been buying from B and W since they opened and prepare like Bodie described earlier. Been ordering 5 pounds of their blends and lesser of single origins and blending with my roasts. Currently have 7-8 pounds vacuumed in Mason jars in freezer in carport as well as dozens of single origins from them and have roasted personally.
As long as I keep vacuumed have never noticed any deterioration thru the years. Only con is have to keep vacuum sealer hooked up and ready each day I use any so as to defeat condensation.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#13: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

cmin wrote:Weird, seen no real difference with freezing BW Classic or Natural. Just finished bag if the Natural I had in the freezer for a couple months (about a 180g left). Grind finer but that's normal for frozen. Never seen a drastic dosing range like that. I vac seal and I dose from frozen and put the bag back in a freezer bag. I pry won't order again though. I order their blends once in awhile for some reason lol, but far prefer their single origins.
Grind finer but that's normal for frozen. So are you saying that you don't wait for the beans to thaw before grinding?

cmin

#14: Post by cmin replying to chanty 77 »

I've been freezing for over 10 or 12 years lol, done all the ways. For a long time now I just grind from frozen, pull out and dose quickly than seal back up into the freezer. I don't know the exact science but I know others have delved into that and it affects fines etc, I do grind fine than from fresh or frozen and defrosted.

I vac seal in pint sized bags that I always have around for sous vide and coffee. Usually about 180g per bag, than once opened I just place that bag in a normal freezer bag.

#15: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to cmin »

Thanks. I don't have vac sealer, don't know if I want to do that with having only one (2 double shots in about 4-5oz. steamed milk). I can't have more than that a day or my brain & heart go nuts. I'm going to try my next 3 bags I ordered today from Barrington without freezing---see if I notice any difference from freezing two ofthe three bags.

cmin

#16: Post by cmin replying to chanty 77 »

I do it b/c I feel like I get bored with a coffee fast so I have various beans in the one freezer. Years ago I used to order 5lb bags and breakdown the same, but after few weeks of the same exact beans I would get bored and want to throw out as I didn't want to keep drinking same thing over and over lol. And that really sucks when you end up with a mehh 5lb bag.

I also feel like for whatever reason I drink less than I used to. I usually only have a shot in morning after a lil pre-workout meal before gym, and than with 'breakfast' maybe I'll make an iced coffee with another shot or sometimes I'll just use the Hario Switch even for a quick cold brew over ice. I used to have like 2 maybe 3 shots before gym not even for energy just to sip on, than another shot after and maybe an iced coffee with another shot. Caffeine doesn't effect me, I just for some reason don't drink coffee as much as I used to.

#17: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to cmin »

I order through a few different roasters and typically order three 12oz. bags (for variety sake) one time & through another vendor the next time. I'm beginning to think that freezing my two 12oz. bags while I go through the first bag is not really doing that much for flavor, extraction. I could understand if I was doing what you are doing freezing 5 lb. bags & taking out whatever you feel like having in a given day from whatever roast you are desiring.
In my case, it is only two 12oz. bags I ever end up freezing, and when I am done with the one 12 oz. bag, I retrieve one of the two left in the freezer. I don't know that I've noticed that much of a flavor drop from keeping the 3 bags in the dark cupboard, 2 completely unopened & the one I open closed up after use & put back in the Airscape container vs freezing the other two 12oz. bags.
I typically go through a 12oz. bag in anywhere from 7-9 days, so by the time I open the 3rd bag to use, I would be at approximately 22 days post roast. Some companies say they don't even start serving their espresso until 14-21 days post roast.