No drops during pre-infusion - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
spressomon

#11: Post by spressomon »

Also, maybe I missed it, is your 800 running off water tank or is it plumbed? From what little I've read, when running off of the built in water tank, you will only be getting 1.1BAR pre-infusion pressure. Whereas, when plumbed in you will be getting pre-infusion at the pressure of your water line which, typically, would be around triple the BAR for compare.

At 1.1BAR PI, it might not be realistic depending on the variables (dose, bean type, grind...), to get first drips in a reasonable amount of time especially with more dense & lighter roast beans.

If tank fed, you could manually feather the lever, by lifting partially lifting up, to gently increase PI pressure...something else to play around with.
No Espresso = Depresso

borisp (original poster)

#12: Post by borisp (original poster) »

Yes, it is tank fed, possibly explaining the "phenomenon". Coffee did taste very good, I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on even better espresso. However, this doesn't cancel the advice to seek some barista instruction to get to know coffee and espresso world more in-depth.

For now, I'll focus on getting some equipment, particularly the cafelat lever gasket kit which comes with a IMS shower screen, silicone gaskets and molykote111 as well as a proper double basket.

Advertisement
borisp (original poster)

#13: Post by borisp (original poster) »

spressomon wrote:Also, maybe I missed it, is your 800 running off water tank or is it plumbed? From what little I've read, when running off of the built in water tank, you will only be getting 1.1BAR pre-infusion pressure. Whereas, when plumbed in you will be getting pre-infusion at the pressure of your water line which, typically, would be around triple the BAR for compare.

At 1.1BAR PI, it might not be realistic depending on the variables (dose, bean type, grind...), to get first drips in a reasonable amount of time especially with more dense & lighter roast beans.

If tank fed, you could manually feather the lever, by lifting partially lifting up, to gently increase PI pressure...something else to play around with.
I'm revisiting this thread to clarify PI pressure when plumbed in.

Does the PI pressure depend on whether machine is tank fed or plumbed?

Because I have read both sides, some said it does not matter and pressure is fixed at boiler pressure. You have mentioned reading that it depends

spressomon

#14: Post by spressomon »

Somewhat related: Have you seen this thread? Profitec Pro 800 plumbing/PID issue

I am not familiar with the 800...but generally, when plumbed in the machine will pre-infuse at the incoming water line pressure, bypassing the machine's pump (but not always). A pressure regulator, between water supply and the machine, will limit the maximum water pressure. However, when using a stand-alone water supply system such as the one I use for my Slayer (water tank→water pump→accumulator→pressure regulator), the pressure regulator (adjustable) keeps the maximum pressure capped but there is still variance below the maximum pressure threshold that effects pre-infusion. After the pump 'charges' the system the incoming water pressure can reach 4/4.5BAR on mine. At the low end, right before the lower pressure limit kicks the pump on, it can be at 2.5BAR.
No Espresso = Depresso

CallMeDave

#15: Post by CallMeDave »

I'm fairly certain the pre-infusion happens through the dipper tube at the pressure built-up in the boiler; nothing to do with plumbing.

It doesn't matter if the boiler has been filled by the (godawful loud) vibratory pump or by the solenoid opening and letting the plumbed water line top off the tank. By the time you're pulling the handle down for the current shot the boiler is likely full and the solenoid is closed up tight.