KvdW Slim Jim Idro explained in six minutes [video] - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
TomC
Team HB

#21: Post by TomC »

My Speedster has an unfortunate amount of frame flex that needs correcting.

Every time it gets serviced it gets tilted up and towards its right side. Doing this makes the panels not line up evenly. The fasteners are hex head bolts along the back side of the machine, leaving a few out for ease of disassembly sake, but they don't seem to be integral to the rigidity of the frame, I think there's two that have been left out. I need to spend some time troubleshooting all of this.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by JohnB. »

TomC wrote:My Speedster has an unfortunate amount of frame flex that needs correcting.
The actual black frame assy. is all welded together so I doubt that is flexing unless the machine was dropped & something broke. I'd check all the screws that lock the bottom cover in place. I leave the 3 screws out that fasten the top cover to the rear plate so I can easily lift it off. Never had any alignment issues replacing covers.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
cafebmw
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by cafebmw »

in the video, at 4:24, you definitely see the machine moving when he pulls down the lever.

on another matter: is the lever machine inherent problem with the air filled headspace solved? or did it become mute as there is a pressure relief at the end of the extraction which avoids the residual pressure problem.

Marcje

#24: Post by Marcje replying to cafebmw »

What exactly do you mean with the inherent problem of the air filled headspace?

G.F.

#25: Post by G.F. »

JohnB. wrote:The actual black frame assy. is all welded together so I doubt that is flexing unless the machine was dropped & something broke. I'd check all the screws that lock the bottom cover in place. I leave the 3 screws out that fasten the top cover to the rear plate so I can easily lift it off. Never had any alignment issues replacing covers.
Still no issues after all these years, steady as a tank.

cafebmw
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by cafebmw »

the brew chamber (or head space), above the portafilter, is filled with air. when the piston moves upward it creates a slight vacuum which sucks more air through the portafilter and causes the coffee puck to lift. that is my concern. i wonder if there is a valve on the Idro to prevent this.
years ago there was a video here on H-B of someone who fabricated a transparent portafilter out of polycarbonate and it showed clearly how the puck moved upwards.
and consecutively all the air is not expelled, only compressed. that causes the residual pressure at the end of the extraction. that creates the mess when you remove the portafilter too early. that is not the case with the Idro as it has a relief valve.