Which puck prep tools / techniques do you think make a real difference? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
cafeIKE

#21: Post by cafeIKE »

espressoren wrote:...I feel like I'm just introducing random voids and air pockets within the grounds by stirring them.

I think it can potentially help with blends, mixing up the grounds so you don't have splotches of specific coffees for each bean type in the blend.
+1 on the random voids.

Beans get pretty well distributed during grinding.

mandarling

#22: Post by mandarling »

espressoren wrote:I'm a bit "meh" about WDT but as others have said it probably comes down to other techniques and equipment. I've just generally found that my shots are slower and more consistent with a bit of vibration leveling and settling the grounds than with WDT or anything else. I feel like I'm just introducing random voids and air pockets within the grounds by stirring them.

I think it can potentially help with blends, mixing up the grounds so you don't have splotches of specific coffees for each bean type in the blend.
Interesting. I want to do my next shot without WDT, do it your way just to check myself a little.

Advertisement
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Pressino »

Nunas wrote:I've tried virtually every puck prep discussed on these pages. The only things I use now, every time, are the tamper and a couple of sintered metal puck screens. The screens have nothing to do with results in the cup; I use them because they keep my group head and drip tray very clean, and they provide a dry puck that usually pops right out of the basket, leaving very little cleaning before the pulling next shot. The tamper that came with the Synchronika I mostly use it as a levelling device and to set the right amount of headspace. I've a drawer full of prep gadgets I no longer use.
I have shared Nuna's experience and agree with his comments. As regards other posts in this thread: 1) while a good grinder is essential to make great espresso, I don't consider it a "puck prep tool;" 2) while I do consider WDT essential, I've had plenty of experience using a straightened paper clip to do what more complicated "WDT Tools" do, and IMHO see no particular advantage to spending money on them.

But the above the puck screen (metallic and not paper) is IMO the most useful "puck prep" gadget I've come across. I should mention that I have tried the "thinner" metallic screens and don't find them as effective (for what I like about puck screens) as the thicker (e.g. 1.7mm) ones. I've tried beneath-the-puck paper filters and don't care for the way they muck up a bottomless PF extraction. Your mileage of course may vary and there's no point disputing individual taste.

Unlike Nunas, I'm willing to say I've found the metallic puck screen does improve both taste and extraction yield in the coffees I use to make espresso, in addition to inarguably keeping the group clean and reducing the need for frequent (if any) backflushing on machines for which backflushing is needed or even possible.

iyayy

#24: Post by iyayy »

group screen is there to ensure water is distributed by the holes directly to the coffee instead of pure water pressure that exist between group and top of puck.

dosing so that puck is barely touching the groupscreen will negate the use of puckscreen and produce similar result.
thats why newer flair58 no longer has a screen on the body, its redundant.

but everyone now choose grams as a start + not using proper length basket for their machine.. different machine has different group height, and different beans or roasts will have difference in weight... anyone happens to have more gaps will notice improvement.. those with less may not.

the old coin trick has been there forever forgoes the needs for these screens.. well maybe except keeping things easier to wash.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Pressino »

iyayy wrote:
dosing so that puck is barely touching the groupscreen will negate the use of puckscreen and produce similar result.
thats why newer flair58 no longer has a screen on the body, its redundant.

...the old coin trick has been there forever forgoes the needs for these screens.. well maybe except keeping things easier to wash.
I'm glad you mentioned the fact that puck screens keep the group clean...since that is, as I said earlier...something that is indisputable and reason enough to use them. And as I said, at least in my experience has been they do increase EY/TDS, but I'm sure one's mileage will
vary depending on several factors. 8)